Mistakenly dipped Acan in RO water

reefbeginnings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, im new here. Have been in the FOWLR hobby for about 2 years now. Started adding some corals to the tank.

I bought two micromussa (acans) yesterday and after dipping, instead of rinsing them with tank water I mistakenly dipped them in fresh RO water.

My question is did I shock them? Is there a way to fix if thats the case? Do Acans take longer to open up? Generally when I add new corals they open up in couple of hours. But these two acans are not opening since adding them yesterday.

Three things could've happened.
1. Shock due to difference in temperature. Since RO water was at room temp (3 to 4 degrees higher than my tank)

2. Shock due to change in salinity.

3. Or both.

Here are some photos.

PS. I have bubble coral and orange fungia plate coral. Both are doing great and the parameters aren't an issue.

Alk: 8.5
Ca: 480
Mag: Never checked
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrates: 30
Phosphates: 0.03
PH: 8.4
Temp: 78°F

16600424229544000482626345872631.jpg

1660042576359371397537652948530.jpg

16600426391747502091553125526278.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, your nitrates are on the higher side. If you're feeding pellets I'd suggest switching to frozen. I don't think the dip will harm them long term.

OP
OP
R

reefbeginnings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, your nitrates are on the higher side. If you're feeding pellets I'd suggest switching to frozen. I don't think the dip will harm them long term.
Yes Nitrates are a bit high. I generally mix it up with frozen brine, mysis and bloodworms. Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to see the acans open up. :)

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 nitrates is higher than is always recommended but I doubt its high enough to harm acans, 30 nitrates wont even harm acros. Im sure they will be fine, just give them some good old time to get comfy.

OP
OP
R

reefbeginnings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 nitrates is higher than is always recommended but I doubt its high enough to harm acans, 30 nitrates wont even harm acros. Im sure they will be fine, just give them some good old time to get comfy.
Thanks. And yes I'll work on bringing the nitrates down anyway but I doubt thats the reason.

Fingers crossed.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A brief temperature shift during a rinse is probably fine, as corals do encounter different-temperature waves sometimes. The RO water ain't great, but those don't look like dying corals, just mildly annoyed corals.

Acans don't generally show their feeding tentacles much, unless offered some kind of food, but they should puff up a bit more than the ones in your photos. Maybe they just need a little time, or maybe the light is a bit bright for them.

Your nitrates are definitely high. Lowering those would be a good idea, but you don't want your phosphates going any lower than they are now, so keep an eye on that. If it comes down to maintaining phosphate and keeping the nitrates high, or lowering the nitrates but lowering the phosphate too much, keep the high nitrates.

OP
OP
R

reefbeginnings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brief temperature shift during a rinse is probably fine, as corals do encounter different-temperature waves sometimes. The RO water ain't great, but those don't look like dying corals, just mildly annoyed corals.

Acans don't generally show their feeding tentacles much, unless offered some kind of food, but they should puff up a bit more than the ones in your photos. Maybe they just need a little time, or maybe the light is a bit bright for them.

Your nitrates are definitely high. Lowering those would be a good idea, but you don't want your phosphates going any lower than they are now, so keep an eye on that. If it comes down to maintaining phosphate and keeping the nitrates high, or lowering the nitrates but lowering the phosphate too much, keep the high nitrates.
Thanks. That's solid advice. Day 3 today, don't see any major improvement. May be 10% better than before. Guess it will take time.

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-10 at 12.30.39 PM.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back