Mitras LX 7206 or keep my (2) 250w DE MH & (4) T5 54w

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I redid my 80 breeder to my current 120 (48x24x24 center braced) I didn't use the MH/T5 combo I had on the 80, but went with, what I thought would be a close equivalent, 3 Radion XR30 G4 Pro's. Boy was I wrong. While the lights seems good, I just couldn't get over the disco effect, lack of shimmer, and most importantly lack of coral growth. I missed my MH/T5's. So I reinstalled the MH/T5's, and tank looks great, corals are taking off.
Also my Apex was given me fits, so I pulled all that stuff off, and now have a full blown GHL controlled tank. I'm talking P4, (3) PB6's, (5) level sensors, (3) Flow meters, Maxi for AWC, 2.1 for additives, Vortech Controller, Red Dragon Controller, KHD and of course a IOND on order.

So as I research, the more my thoughts are of switching back to LED's. I can see LX is a great choice, read the reviews, looked over the threads here, watched the videos.
But I have a few concerns, and I'd like some user feedback. Both good and bad.
Plan is (2) LX7206 running perpendicular.
1. I saw that due to the lamp reflector and not using a lens, but a diffuser, there is no disco ball effect. Correct?
2. I can control them with my P4, but will need the PLM-PWC Expansion Card. Correct?
3. How are the shimmer lines? I know Kessil comes the closest to MH, but how does the LX stack up?
4. Are the projects easy to load up?
5. Anything else I need or should know?

Pictures would be great!

Thanks for the info and help.

@Vinny@GHLUSA @ReefBum @Ditto @slief

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nice light. I still like a few T5 lamps with my LED if possible. Been LED only with no issues growing or coloring coral. It is a learning curve, id say get a par meter to test before and after will help. Granted MH # to LED # are never gonna be the same for the same color/growth. I just watch my coral but I wouldn't set my LED higher then the MH.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan is (2) LX7206 running perpendicular.
1. I saw that due to the lamp reflector and not using a lens, but a diffuser, there is no disco ball effect. Correct?
2. I can control them with my P4, but will need the PLM-PWC Expansion Card. Correct?
3. How are the shimmer lines? I know Kessil comes the closest to MH, but how does the LX stack up?
4. Are the projects easy to load up?
5. Anything else I need or should know?

Two LX7206 would be great for that size tank!

1. 100% correct, no disco effect whatsoever. The LX7 is able to accomplish this because of the reflector design which diffuses and spreads the light evenly throughout the 36" x 24" coverage. This eliminates the abundance of hotspots and disco effect you'd see on other LED fixtures which use optics.

2. Yes, the PLM-PWC card would be needed IF you wanted to control the light schedule through the P4 instead of the lights themselves. The PWC card is by no means a requirement. It does however provide the convenience of controlling the light through the same platform which already monitors and manages your tank.

3. This is going be a subjective question as everyone will have a different opinion on what amount of shimmer is "acceptable". Some will say the shimmer on a Kessil is excessive, while others say it's enough. The shimmer on the LX7 will not be super distracting, nor will it take away from the enjoyment of watching your tank.

4. There are two ways to create light schedules. With Light composer, you get the most customization options for creating your light schedule. LC is available when you use GHL Control Center. If you go to our website, you will find a collection of user-submitted schedules that were made using LC. Loading schedules is super easy. We have a video for that on our YT channel in the Mitras LED playlist.

The second option is Multi-Channel setup. This is a more basic method for creating a schedule and is accessible with GCC and the app.

5. As with any light, give your corals enough time to adapt to the new conditions. All too often, people will change there schedules too soon because they weren't seeing the rules they wanted. Personally, I suggest choosing an existing schedule and adjusting the ON/OFF times to your liking. Give the corals at least 3-4 months to adjust to the spectrum. Use the acclimation tool too. This will help the corals steadily adjust to the brightness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Member No 1

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vinny!
Pretty much confirmed what I was hoping.
I like the shimmer of my MH, and the Radions with defussers didn't have any, so I'm sure the LX will be about right. I will be using the P4, so the PLM-PWC will be ordered along with the lights. I like the idea of being able to control everything with one platform.
I already spoke with Keith, asked him to add them to his site.

OP
OP
Member No 1

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's the day of the big switch. Replacing the current MH/T5 with (2) LX-7206. These will be placed front/back 2' center spacing over a 48"x24"x24" 120g. The mounts I made have previsions to move them closer to the center if need be.

I will be taking before and after par readings with and Apogee SQ-520 Full-Spectrum Quantum Sensor.
https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/sq-520-full-spectrum-smart-quantum-sensor-usb/

@Vinny@GHLUSA I downloaded your light project, do you think the light project as is, intensity wise, is pretty close to the MH/T5 I'm currently running? Seat of the pants, should I set up acclimation, and if so, what % should I start with, and duration? 1wk? 2wks? More?

I'll post par numbers once I compile them.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete,

When I had the lights running on the original tank, I was seeing about 300 par at the sandbed. That was with 2x 7206 fixtures over a 3 foot long tank. Over a 4 foot, you'll probably see closer to 250.

If the numbers are close to what your corals are accustomed to, you don't have to change anything intensity wise, but I would still use the acclimation feature to at least allow the corals to adjust to the change in spectrum. A 4-6 week period at 75% should be long enough.

OP
OP
Member No 1

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete,

When I had the lights running on the original tank, I was seeing about 300 par at the sandbed. That was with 2x 7206 fixtures over a 3 foot long tank. Over a 4 foot, you'll probably see closer to 250.

If the numbers are close to what your corals are accustomed to, you don't have to change anything intensity wise, but I would still use the acclimation feature to at least allow the corals to adjust to the change in spectrum. A 4-6 week period at 75% should be long enough.
Awesome thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back