Mitras LX7206 how many for 36" x 16" x 16" mixed reef tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says... How many will I need to run over the top of an AIO mixed reef tank that measures 36" x 16" x 16"? We currently have an SB Reef Pro 32" on it but we've also been thinking about going with a pair of Kessil A360X.

Any feedback on the Mitras would be greatly appreciated. We are also adding a full GHL Profilux 4 as well as the Doser 2.1 4 head.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says... How many will I need to run over the top of an AIO mixed reef tank that measures 36" x 16" x 16"? We currently have an SB Reef Pro 32" on it but we've also been thinking about going with a pair of Kessil A360X.

Any feedback on the Mitras would be greatly appreciated. We are also adding a full GHL Profilux 4 as well as the Doser 2.1 4 head.
30" by 20" is a pretty safe estimate for the LX7's. If you used one of them, it would be a bit dark on the edges. You could likely get away with it if don't want SPS on the outer 3" since you have such a shallow depth.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single LX7 fixture can cover that space without a problem. It really just depends on what kinds of coral you have or plan to keep.

If you're doing a mixed reef, do 1 fixture.

If you're planning to have primarily SPS, go for 2x LX7s.
Having 2 will give you more than enough coverage at the ends and give you perfect even-light distribution through out the footprint of the tank.

I have a 36" tank like you and I went with 2x LX7s only because my reef is 95% acros. :)

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Vinny@GHLUSA ... I sent a message to Marco asking for help with everything we would need to swap out from Neptune Apex. You don't happen to know when he'll be able to reply?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read through this thread I have to wonder if there's such a thing as too much? I've got a 60"x24"24" with 4 LX7's over it...;Nailbiting

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJoFan - Yoh should be able to grow anything with that many over your tank. You should have great coverage, and with the overlap on lighting coverage should be pretty even throughout the tank.

It easier to turn down the power on the lights then it is to rearrange and add one after you have your tank up and running :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read through this thread I have to wonder if there's such a thing as too much? I've got a 60"x24"24" with 4 LX7's over it...;Nailbiting
I may add a 4th to reduce shadowing, not because I need more PAR. I think I'm going to put my T5's back up first since I already have them.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - I am getting ready to add 3 to one of my takes, a 72"x18"x18" tank. And then I was going to use 2 of my 3 Mitras light bars V2 and put them on the side of them which go the length of the tank.

Do you have any recommendations on the intensity I should start the LX at? I am thinking 40-50% and acclimate for 3 months up to the % I need to them be?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - I am getting ready to add 3 to one of my takes, a 72"x18"x18" tank. And then I was going to use 2 of my 3 Mitras light bars V2 and put them on the side of them which go the length of the tank.

Do you have any recommendations on the intensity I should start the LX at? I am thinking 40-50% and acclimate for 3 months up to the % I need to them be?
I would start at around 75%. They do not have the intensity of some of the other high end light fixtures on the market. I love the lights, but they do not put out massive amounts of PAR. I run mine at over 100% on the blue channels and 100% on the white channels.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend 2 and run them lower power. That will give better coverage over the length of the tank.

Don't mind me... I have 5 on my 7' tank. About to make it 7. One per foot :D

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJoFan - Yoh should be able to grow anything with that many over your tank. You should have great coverage, and with the overlap on lighting coverage should be pretty even throughout the tank.

It easier to turn down the power on the lights then it is to rearrange and add one after you have your tank up and running :)

I run mine at 75% currently, but don't have a lot of sps right now. I'm happy with putting 4 on it from the start. I don't worry about not having enough.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may add a 4th to reduce shadowing, not because I need more PAR. I think I'm going to put my T5's back up first since I already have them.
I have a Giesemann Aurora for my frag tank once it's up and going. I'm a little afraid I'm going to like the LED/T5 combo and want it on my main tank as well. :confused:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Giesemann Aurora for my frag tank once it's up and going. I'm a little afraid I'm going to like the LED/T5 combo and want it on my main tank as well. :confused:
I didn't care for the flat look from the T5 but I think it may benefit my coral.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back