Mix Cooper Power and Copper safe!!

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix Cooper safe and copper power? I have a quarantine tank of around 100 gallons with several tangs, I started the treatment for velvet, only I reached 1.7 ppm, and I ran out of Copper power, I want to complete the dose and reach 2.5 ppm but I no longer have Cooper power. I can use Coppersafe. To reach the dose of 2.5 ppm?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix Cooper safe and copper power? I have a quarantine tank of around 100 gallons with several tangs, I started the treatment for velvet, only I reached 1.7 ppm, and I ran out of Copper power, I want to complete the dose and reach 2.5 ppm but I no longer have Cooper power. I can use Coppersafe. To reach the dose of 2.5 ppm?

That's a good question, I'm not sure!

Coppersafe and Copper Power are very similar in their action and dose, but since both companies hide their "recipes" I can't say if the medications can be used together.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not - just out of principle. Try not to use 2 medications at once. Use one of the other?

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that it's hard for me to get more Cooper power right now! and now I only have Cooper safe!!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could you do a 100% water change, transferring the fish into water treated with Coppersafe, so the medications won't mix?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Part if it depends on 'why' you're using copper. If it's a qt - with no disease evident - Its not as critical as if the fish were sick. If I were you - I would do a water change - with the new medication - brought up to the usual level per the instructions - and go from there. Not sure which protocol you're using - but - I'm not sure why you're at 1.7 - when you only had a partial dose? Are you using the 'get the levels up within xx days' - or did you just run out. Many people now suggest - just getting the tank to proper levels within a day or 2.

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am treating marine velvet in a 100 gallon tank

I ran out of Copper Power product and only at this moment I have Copper safe on hand, that's why I ask and the amount of Coppel power I had was only enough to reach 1.7 parts per million, I wonder if I can make up for those. 0.8 parts per million that I need to reach 2.5ppm with the other product? I repeat I am trying Marine velvet

thank you all for your answers

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am treating marine velvet in a 100 gallon tank

I ran out of Copper Power product and only at this moment I have Copper safe on hand, that's why I ask and the amount of Coppel power I had was only enough to reach 1.7 parts per million, I wonder if I can make up for those. 0.8 parts per million that I need to reach 2.5ppm with the other product? I repeat I am trying Marine velvet

thank you all for your answers
I don't think there is an easy answer - I would reach out to tech support for the companies involved?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yes I have a Hanna checker! The therapeutic level for both is 2.5 ppm?
Can’t say what it is on coppersafe. Only use copper power. People who I know have mixed them and have had many qt folks say it’s fine. I wouldn’t think twice in your shoes.
warning copper power is hard to remove from a 100 gallons so be ready to move fish or a plan.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. Yes I have a Hanna checker! The therapeutic level for both is 2.5 ppm?
There is no way to tell for us - to guess. Call the companies and ask them. There could be untoward reactions. On the surface it seems that it should be ok. Again - which protocol are you following ? You say you're treating velvet - If thats the case - the best plan would have been to rapidly raise the copper level to 2.5. And - in a hospital tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are indeed similar, and I recall a couple of cases where person could not get coppersafe and added copper power. To Be safe, I would do a good water change and add if needs be- Is it that you can no longer get one product resorting to other?
Safest would be to place fish in bucket and empty tank and reset with new product rather than mixing, then add fish back into new water once salinity is equalized.

Back