Mixed reef 50% corals 50% macro. Nitrates?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to increase flow. If your plants and algea are growing you nitrate will drop. Get a cheap nicrew light.
Sure I have already planned to get a jebao powerhead in few days as suggested before :)

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your phosphates are low I would recommend continuing to dose especially because you have a genus of macro that tends to like to melt and release gametes if it gets really stressed (nutrient pour environment). You may not really be at zero as hobby grade test kits can have a small standard deviation in both directions. Dino’s tend to thrive in low nutrient environment or when there is an imbalance between nitrate and phosphates. at least that’s the common thought in the hobby. I had a terrible species that no matter how well balanced my tank was, my Dino’s wouldn’t disappear so it’s not always true. Cyano will most likely come and go usually with the season. I see it happen a ton from summer to fall and spring to summer. Flow will help as the person said above. Cyano is a bacteria so there is something that it is enjoying in your environment that it’s using to grow on your macros. By the way, not sure what kind of corals you’re going to keep, but I’m using a twinstar freshwater planted tank led over my mix coral and macro tank. Has grown corals really well even sps and I enjoy the white light look. So keep fw lights in mind as their spectrum might be just as good if you’re not looking for a super blue reef light.
OK great thanks for all this info! I mean, I am not crazy about filaments and slime bacteria on my scapes but as long as they don't kill my corals and plants I am not even going to go crazy to completely eradicate them. It's part of the diversity and keeps the system more interesting. But in this case I have the impression (maybe it's just me) that the whole tank is suffering. Maybe the pistol shimp death is not connected but my red macros are really ugly right now. Hopefully some fragments will persist and spread once the tank is more stable.
Concerning lighting I am planning to get a viperspectra black box on the coral side which I will also keep quite white during the day and bluer in the evening, and on the macro side a 6500k led light. So everyone gets its ideal spectra.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late, but I use this as well. Fully stocked macro tank, tied into a nem/ coral grow out system and fully stocked. Dose it multiple times a day and no issues.

E6C1D265-FC08-4984-824A-086645084749.jpeg
A5F65B4C-9B50-441F-90AA-D95F8C730205.jpeg
F275076E-77CF-4511-B140-2FD017D7710E.png
Wow. Next house I want a terrariums/aquariums room like this
I might lose the right to sleep in the bedroom but.. Whatever xD

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I have already planned to get a jebao powerhead in few days as suggested before :)
Good luck. I've had success for a long time using algea for primary filtration. Doing in the display is challenging. The macros need a different spectrum to flourish than corals. But when your tank reaches a balance you'll be amazed. I haven't changed water in years except for occasional sand siphoning. Most times I just stir it. Lol. Is nitrate the only thing out of wack? Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. Most tanks find a sweet spot given proper light and flow.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m almost considering turning off return pump and adding vibrant to get rid of caulerpa in display lol careful what you wish for

576755CD-2660-42E4-9388-91DB5B16B3E5.jpeg

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's a good point. But as I stated above in the nuisance algae thread I have been told this is cyano and therefore I have to cut lights and reduce nutrients, while I get totally different feedback here. My idea on this is that I have actually a mix of Dino and cyano (so if I understood correctly the red stuff covering rocks is cyano while the filamentous algae on the caulerpa is Dino?) is this possible? In any case if I understood well cyano is better than Dino so in any case is better to keep nutrients higher rather than lower right?
Hey. I just noticed this. Dianos are more stringy. Look brown under blue light. Not as red a cyano. Lots more bubbles with dinos. But..... most times dinos flourish in low nutrients. With nitrate that high its shouldn't be dinos. Mabe to much artificial dosing. Introduce phosphate thru feeding. Hang in there.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wil probly try
To cut back on feeding / reduce phos/nitrate before going vibrant route , I’ve been feeding heavily lately
I know it can be a pest but I'll bet your tank is healthy. That was the first thing the emeralds ate in my system. Then hair then finally the bubble algea I bought then for. I put 5 per 30 gallons. Half inch. KPaquatics.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it can be a pest but I'll bet your tank is healthy. That was the first thing the emeralds ate in my system. Then hair then finally the bubble algea I bought then for. I put 5 per 30 gallons. Half inch. KPaquatics.
I’ll have to get some more then! Im way more in favor of natural remedies , the caulerpa is Unslightly but does have its benefits of keeping the tank stable / providing many areas of hides for inverts / fish

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That baby rfa !

!
Lol. Yeah. There's too many to count! Got new ones you can only see under the blues they're so tiny. I'll eventually move most corals out and let them have that tank. 3 spawns since July. It's cool to have baby anything!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back