Mixed Reef Redsea Reefer 350 Build - Dream Find or Worst Nightmare?

drewskiReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! My name is Andrew and I love to use R2R for the wealth of knowledge and felt it was time to actually become active in the community!

Last weekend I found a used Redsea Reefer 350 with what seemed to be a full neptune system along with two Radion xr15 G5 Blue at the LFS. Digging in farther, I found out that the tank was only 8 months old and the only thing it would “need” is an ATO pump…. Asking price was $5,000, but was negotiable. I was skeptical to say the least.. It honestly wasn’t in bad shape, but there was a lot of stuff and it was hard to see what was actually in the pile and some parts were in the back back of the store and the guy apparently had given up on the tank previously…

The decision came down to it being a good addition to my reefer 170 and this would be a good step before my dream tank(reefer 900xl or reefer s 1000) so I went for it!!
Last weekend I found a used Red Sea Reefer 350 with what seemed to be a full Neptune System with two Radion xr15 G5 Blue at the LFS. Digging in farther, I found out that the tank was only 8 months old and the only thing it would “need” is an ATO pump…. Asking price was $5,000, but was negotiable. I was skeptical…. It wasn’t in bad shape, but there was a lot of stuff and it was hard to see what was actually in the pile and some parts were in the back back of the store.

The decision came down to it being a good addition to my reefer 170 and this would be a good step before my dream tank(reefer 900xl or reefer s 1000) so I went for it!!

The plan is to take it slow but the goal is to shoot for a Mixed reef with minimalist rock structure

It was delivered on Thursday!!
IMG_3394.jpg

The first step is to inventory and clean it!

Let me know if you have any suggestions on how I should set it up!

OP
OP
D

drewskiReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find! Clean and inventory everything first - including the Trident before you start operating it (there's a good YouTube video on cleaning the curvette).

Thanks for the tip definitely didn't even think about cleaning the Tridnet!

OP
OP
D

drewskiReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inventory and Cleaning Update!

Hey all! Spent the weekend cleaning and inventorying everything that came with the tank. Used the vinegar water soaking and power washing methods to chew through everything so quickly. It looks like the previous owner went nuts with this thing!

IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3428.jpg

• Removed the filter cups in the sump for the Clarisea Gen 2
  • Hard piped in a refugium
  • Custom drain and return lines
  • Apex systems seem to never end

Inventory
Reefer 350 Tank, Cabinet, Doors, and Sump
2 - Radion xr15 blues
2 - Radion xr15 mounts
2 - MP 10 flow pumps
1 - AI Nero sub pro 3
Octopus Classic 150int
Clarisea gen 2 SK5000
2 - Kamoer Dosers

Neptune Systems Apex
Trident
Core 15 return pump
GRO refugium light with mount
Energy Bar 8
Lunar Simulator with 3 LEDs
PMK PAR Monitoring Kit
Leak Detection Kit
AFS
DOS with DDR
Apex Base Unit
Apex ATK V2 Automatic Top-Off Kit
FMK Flow Monitoring Kit
Display Module

Extras
DIY Aquarium Screen
1 - Finnex HC-810M Digital Heater Controller
1 - Finnex THH-300s Titanium Header
1 - BFS 100 watt heater
1 - Finnex HPC-100 Heater
1 - Aqua top 300w titanium heater with controller
1 - Intertek Syncra Pump 3.0
1 - Intertek Syncra Pump 1.0
Amazon Reservoir
1 - Unknow Reactor
1 - Unknown flow pump
Countless extension plugs

I ultimately got everything for $4500 after negotiating a bit.. I estimate that all of this is worth just over 9k! So definitely in the money on this one even after a few mistakes.. Ended up breaking the Skimmer body, but will probably replace it or upgrade to a Nyos Quantum 160 still very torn on that decision.

Next Steps
Finalize rock design (store built or hand built)
Confirm all electronics work as need
Build controller panel and run wires
Add Led strips to Cabinet

dphan2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey following this build. Loving it so far. I bought a used Red Sea for a great deal. Great Job cleaning the tank.

Back