Mixed Reef: Waterbox Marine X 60.2

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my time as come to start by build thread. I've been watching @Tonycass12 @Arcu2 @FrontRangeReefer Marine X 60.2 threads, but probably time to start mine. Just to document progress, ask questions and contribute my own experience for others. No ETA for the tank yet, but hopefully soon. This list was compiled with help from my Bro, who owns an LFS and one of his sales reps who's knowledgeable with equipment.

Inspiration:

817922452_w3cjk-O.jpg

This D2mini's 130g Rimless Cube was always an inspiration... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757436

FTS5-1.jpg

This 2Sunny's @2Sunny 240 Coral Garden Cube too... I mean, look at that reef-scape!? https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2sunnys-240-coral-garden-cube.52704/

Always liked the cube look, with nice dynamic depth, a mixed reef with an SPS-dominant flare. That's the plan, with inspiration from these two tanks.

Tank:

Waterbox Marine X 60.2, White Cabinet

Lighting:

Ecotech XR15 Pro with diffuser (x1)
OR 3 Bar UV Spectrum (x2)
Orphek mounting arm kit

Going all LED, for a T5/LED hybrid look; recommended by my not-so-local LFS, after I asked what the best T5/LED combo would be. Hoping for the same look, but without changing the bulbs every 6 months. The idea is to minimize shadowing, primarily.

Skimmer:

Maxspect Jump SK400

Rated for 100 gallons, high bioload. So should be able to handle it all!

Return Pump:

Apex Cor20

(with VCA random flow generators)

trying to really capitalize on all the apex has to offer

Circulation Pump:

VorTech MP10WQD x1

(if I have to get two, I will, but seeing what I can get away with)

ATO:

Exo ATO

(this one seems to have the best reviews out there and apparently the Apex one sucks?)

Automation:

Apex EL
DOS Dosing Pump (+/- DDS reservoir for two-part)
Trident

Other:

Live rock
Sand (I don't know... if anyone can sway me on the matter, feel free)

Some Concerns:

Location (painters tape marking):
Tank Location.jpg

It's going to be seeing indirect, natural light from these windows... hoping algae won't be too much of a nuisance. Plan is to "test" the tank here and hope for the best:
Window 1.jpg
Window 2.jpg

Fish room? Hoping to wire some stuff through the wall to this area and have a "panel" for Apex, Lights, Pumps, Trident, etc. But don't know if the wires will be long enough... need 2-3 feet, because tank is just past this portion of the wall, and will have to "feed" it to this portion of the wall. Going to map it all out when I have the equipment and see the length of the wires... but if anyone has feedback, happy to take it.

Fish Room.jpg
Fish Room-Sketch.jpg

Happy Reefing!
Any advice, comments, suggestions for improvement are always welcome.
I'll update this thread regularly

Last edited:

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looking forward to seeing this come together! It’s going to look amazing in that area of the house - super clean.

Edit: I reached out to WB who said my tank originally ordered on 17-Nov would finally be shipping the week of 15-Feb. Chris from WB CS told me that since I ordered the tank with the white cabinet, they did not have this combination come in with the shipment on 25-Jan. I don’t recall when you ordered yours, but since you are waiting on the same exact tank I figured this would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looking forward to seeing this come together! It’s going to look amazing in that area of the house - super clean.

Edit: I reached out to WB who said my tank originally ordered on 17-Nov would finally be shipping the week of 15-Feb. Chris from WB CS told me that since I ordered the tank with the white cabinet, they did not have this combination come in with the shipment on 25-Jan. I don’t recall when you ordered yours, but since you are waiting on the same exact tank I figured this would be helpful. Thanks!
Thank you everyone! Yes, I must be in the same situation. It was supposed to ship at the end of this month, but I haven’t heard from them yet. So must be delayed. That’s quite a delay on your end, but I’m sure it’s worth the wait...

OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is coming in a couple weeks! Do any of you guys know what size tubing is on this tank (couldn't find it in the specs on the website). I want to get random flow generator nozzles for the returns. Is it 1/2 inch as listed here? Do I need to get two of them, since it's dual return?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is coming in a couple weeks! Do any of you guys know what size tubing is on this tank (couldn't find it in the specs on the website). I want to get random flow generator nozzles for the returns. Is it 1/2 inch as listed here? Do I need to get two of them, since it's dual return?

3/4 I can double check when I get home this evening if no one else chimes in. I wasn't a fan of the random flow nozzles. You need to pump a lot of water through them to get them to work properly. I went back to the wide nozzle because it seams to produce more flow in the tank. Double check w waterbox bc they sent both types of nozzles with my set up although I swapped to the frag system since it could ship right away rather then wait weeks longer then I already had for the 60.2

OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 I can double check when I get home this evening if no one else chimes in. I wasn't a fan of the random flow nozzles. You need to pump a lot of water through them to get them to work properly. I went back to the wide nozzle because it seams to produce more flow in the tank. Double check w waterbox bc they sent both types of nozzles with my set up although I swapped to the frag system since it could ship right away rather then wait weeks longer then I already had for the 60.2
Dangit. Yeah, if you don't mind checking. The VCA website said this is the one, but they call it 1/2 inch nozzle with a Waterbox adaptor? So maybe it's a 1/2inch nozzle, but can still go onto the Waterbox return piping? I already jumped the gun and ordered it.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangit. Yeah, if you don't mind checking. The VCA website said this is the one, but they call it 1/2 inch nozzle with a Waterbox adaptor? So maybe it's a 1/2inch nozzle, but can still go onto the Waterbox return piping? I already jumped the gun and ordered it.
Might be a good thing a half inch would have a lot more flow behind it to get those nozzles working properly. If they have an adapter with it its probably the 3/4>1/2 fitting

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have thought this build out. I like your living room. The reef tank is going to look great. BTW, If you have algae issues it will not be because of the sunlight from your window. Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have thought this build out. I like your living room. The reef tank is going to look great. BTW, If you have algae issues it will not be because of the sunlight from your window. Keep the updates coming!
Thank you! That's reassuring... still debating on this location versus my office, which has a closet behind (can also build out a fish room there, too). I'll just have to make a game-time decision once I see the tank.

OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a good thing a half inch would have a lot more flow behind it to get those nozzles working properly. If they have an adapter with it its probably the 3/4>1/2 fitting
Ok, cool... I also have a Cor20, so it should handle whatever it's pushing through. Just want to make sure the flow nozzle will fit!

OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, here's my update. I won't repeat @FrontRangeReefer 's update, as he honestly did a much better job detailing the setup, etc. than I would have done. I will echo his thoughts on the clarity of the stand setup; could be better... but basically sets up like a piece of IKEA furniture. The quality is sort of the same too, but maybe slightly better.

What they lack in the quality of the stand, makes up in the pure strength of it though. Not worried about it at all. And what should be highlighted foremost is that the tank itself is a thing of pure beauty. They do not cut corners with this tank... all super high quality, easy to assemble and better than expected. Pictures do not do justice.

I added those VCA random flow generators, and the ones listed on their website do fit (1/2 inch piping) @Tonycass12 . I think that the return nozzles are 1/2 inch and the rest of the tubing is 3/4 inch. Here is a side-to-side picture of the stock flat return nozzle (left) versus a VCA random flow return (right) hooked up to the tank. The one thing I wish is that the VCA nozzle had a little more "bend" to it, so I can aim it a little more forward, rather than toward the side of the tank... but we'll see what it's like when all the rockwork, etc. is in:

IMG_3407.jpg

The Waterbox does come with a "jet" return if you want to exchange it for the "flat" ones. But they are not the same as the VCA random flow generators, just to be clear. Here is a side-to-side comparison between the stock "jet" return (left) and the VCA random flow generators (right) from the front and back.

IMG_3410.jpg
IMG_3412.jpg

The jet return just looks like a wind tunnel, whereas the VCA random flow generator looks like a jet engine (and I hope that's not just an analogy about looks... we'll see).

I also decided to place the tank in my office, with an adjacent closet on the opposite side of the wall... overall going to just be a better spot and the closet is dedicated for fish stuff.

For now, that's all I have... waiting on all my gear to show up.

P.S.: @Arcu2 ; what's the latest update on you (get over COVID OK?) and also, you seem to be furthest along... any updates?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, things will be getting wet this week. I’ll have pictures then with all my equipment. But how do I get the Cor20 hooked up to the return line hose? I’ve looked around the internet and the instructions with no luck.

OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I might be onto something… is glue really required? Also, once you glue it can you not take it apart for cleaning?

OP
OP
B

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, another update. My tank is finally stocked out and in the growing/coloring up phase. I pretty much love all the equipment and would pick the same over again.

IMG_4391 copy.jpg

FTS:
IMG_4384 copy.jpg
As things start growing out and coloring up I'll definitely have to get some macro shots. Right now, nothing too exciting, other than I am definitely seeing great growth and coloration beginning to form and the potential is there. Wish the orange filter used to take picture truly capture the colors.
IMG_4386 copy.jpg

IMG_4388 copy.jpg

Surprisingly, the Gen 5 Radions could have maybe been standalone lights, but definitely don't mind the extra light with the OR3 Bars.

IMG_4385 copy.jpg

And here is the big, bad and ugly (but don't care, because externally nothing shows). Everything is wired through the wall to a back closet. Acts as a mini "fish closet" so salt creep doesn't get to my Apex, DOS or Trident. On that note, everything is super stable with the trident. Seems like a no-brainer.
IMG_4389 copy.jpg

Things to do still:

1) Setup a RODI station... currently still making trips to the LFS, which is fine because I need to go anyway for things.
2) Titrate skimmer... has been difficult to dial in, but working on it
3) Maybe a "skirt" for the lighting fixture... bleeds out a fair amount and also want the tank to look as clean aesthetically as possible.

I think that's all for now... need to sit on my hands and let the grow-out phase just happen.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back