Mixed reef with macro?

Joeymice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on back refugium? My buddy used one worked pretty good for him.
Or you could a algae reactor hang the reactor only have the pump in sump

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When harvesting chaeto, I clip it to a corner of the display tank for a couple of days to let Pods and bristleworms escape. It would grow there if left on its own.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have macro in your display. I have a mixed reef that has a couple types of caulerpa, and I like the way it looks, plus it helps with nutrient export. With caulerpa you just have to keep it trimmed back so it doesn’t ‘go sexual’.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got calurpa racemosa in my tank and I just let it grow since it's pretty aggressive in its growth and would be too much trouble to try to eradicate it completely. I do an aggressive trim/pull every two weeks or so to keep it in check. I also throw the pulled out macro in my sump or in a bag for credit at my lsf.
7E58DD11-78FD-4A32-995B-9B4315334DE3.jpeg

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got calurpa racemosa in my tank and I just let it grow since it's pretty aggressive in its growth and would be too much trouble to try to eradicate it completely. I do an aggressive trim/pull every two weeks or so to keep it in check. I also throw the pulled out macro in my sump or in a bag for credit at my lsf.
That's a beautiful tank man

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send some this way lol how much and how much for shipping

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have a mixed reef with macro algae in the display? I don't have room for a fuge trying to figure something out or maybe a hob fuge. Idk yet give me some ideas
Red Ogo is a pretty popular choice to have in a display. Do you have anything in there that would eat the macroalgae?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Love it!!! I am probaly going to pull out my SPS and some LPS and go more softies. Every time I see a mature softy tank I just <3

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
absolutely stunning tank! Would love to share this on our Instagram if you don't mind :)

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Ogo is a pretty popular choice to have in a display. Do you have anything in there that would eat the macroalgae?
I don't think so lol i have a crab he might be the only one that will eat some.
I like how dragons breath looks and i got a lfs that has it close by for cheap. Would it make a good macro algae for nutrient export?

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think so lol i have a crab he might be the only one that will eat some.

I like how dragons breath looks and i got a lfs that has it close by for cheap. Would it make a good macro algae for nutrient export?
If you are worried about your crab with the Red ogo then likely he would mess with the dragon's breath as well. It will consume nutrients but it isn't the fastest grower for most hobbyist but that might be what you need :) I would say it is likely worth the try though!

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about your crab with the Red ogo then likely he would mess with the dragon's breath as well. It will consume nutrients but it isn't the fastest grower for most hobbyist but that might be what you need :) I would say it is likely worth the try though!
Not sure because i have no macro growing so I'll just give it a shot i guess we'll see

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back