Mixed Salt Water: From Clear to Cloudy

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I used the Fritz salt mix to make about 30 gallons of salt water to keep handy in a Rubbermaid Brute trash can. The water was clear for a couple of days and is now foggy/cloudy. Why would this happen? Is the water safe for water changes? Thanks!

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read similar forums on this problem. I know Rubbermaid trashcans are made with lots of chemicals, which dissolves easily in saltwater. I think chemicals are causing the cloudiness, but its just a theory.

El Grunto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brute trash cans are universally used within the hobby for water storage. I'd lean towards precipitation before the Brute can leaching chemicals.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brute trash cans are universally used within the hobby for water storage. I'd lean towards precipitation before the Brute can leaching chemicals.
100% agree with this.

Brutes have been used in the hobby for decades, if they leeched anything we would know it by now.

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks all. The pump is still in there circulating and I put a heater in there to bring it up to the recommended mixing temp. The funny thing is that this never happened when I left only RODI water in there, it always remained crystal clear. The water in my tank is super clear also. Is this cloudy water in the Brute bin ok to use for water change? FYI I bought this trash can recently and is dedicated only for this purpose—it has never been used for anything else.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks all. The pump is still in there circulating and I put a heater in there to bring it up to the recommended mixing temp. The funny thing is that this never happened when I left only RODI water in there, it always remained crystal clear. The water in my tank is super clear also. Is this cloudy water in the Brute bin ok to use for water change? FYI I bought this trash can recently and is dedicated only for this purpose—it has never been used for anything else.

Was the heater in there when it became cloudy?

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the heater in there when it became cloudy?
No it was not. I put the heater in this morning but it is still cloudy. My LFS told me that it is the trash can—surprised because so many use the Brute model. They say to buy a food or pharmaceutical grade bin, but I was under the impression the Rubbermaid Brute was indeed food safe.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a heater and power head running in the salt water container which keeps it clear.

No it was not. I put the heater in this morning but it is still cloudy. My LFS told me that it is the trash can—surprised because so many use the Brute model. They say to buy a food or pharmaceutical grade bin, but I was under the impression the Rubbermaid Brute was indeed food safe.

The reason I mentioned it was I know that some salts (red sea is the only I know that says this) say to not heat the salt unless you are using it within a few hours of mixing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is indeed precipitation, as you are suggesting, do you think the water will clear up and will be safe to use in my DT?

Just let it settle out and it will be fine. No need to keep stirring it.

All salt mixes have a tendency to precipitate some calcium carbonate since seawater is supersaturated with calcium carbonate, and new salt water lacks some fo teh chemicals that prevent precipitation in a tank (e.g. organics and phosphate).

High alk mixes, and those mixed in low CO2 air and those heated will all have more tendency to do so.

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it settle out and it will be fine. No need to keep stirring it.

All salt mixes have a tendency to precipitate some calcium carbonate since seawater is supersaturated with calcium carbonate, and new salt water lacks some fo teh chemicals that prevent precipitation in a tank (e.g. organics and phosphate).

High alk mixes, and those mixed in low CO2 air and those heated will all have more tendency to do so.
Thanks a lot Randy! Much appreciated.

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color brute are you using ? The grey ones are the ones people use with no issues
It is indeed the grey one. I confirm that Randy is indeed correct and the water has turned clear without any further need to keep the water circulating. Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back