Mixing all for reef with amino acid.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was sitting here sipping my coffee staring at my tank and a epiphany popped up. In the quest to make things as lazy (less steps) as possible I wondered to myself if brightwell coral amino could be mixed in with all for reef so that it could be dosed simultaneously throughout the day via a dosing pump. I have about 285 days worth of all for reef left to dose so I’d be mixing about 29ml worth of coral amino (I dose 2 drops per day in my 13.5 evo) into the container of A4R……can it be done or is it just a pipe dream?

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the amino acids Heavier or light than the A4R? Would the amino acid concentration be uniform throughout the A4R and be dosed in the proper dosage?
These are the questions I have minus the amount to mix in with the existing container of A4R I currently have. 20 drops make up about 1ml…..I have 285 days worth of A4R and at 2 drops per day of aminos, works out to roughly 28ml that I’d have to mix in with the A4R. I just have no idea if they’d mix and hold stable. Trying to keep from experimenting and possibly ruining a small batch of supplement. But if I must, I will. In the name of science.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dilute it much, it may grow bacteria.

Dissolved amino acids do not settle out. Particulates (if any are present) will.
Well, sounds like it’s science time! I’ve figured that I’m gonna mix 1.5ml of all for reef with 2 drops of coral amino and see how it reacts over the course of a few days of sitting still.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sounds like it’s science time! I’ve figured that I’m gonna mix 1.5ml of all for reef with 2 drops of coral amino and see how it reacts over the course of a few days of sitting still.
Hello you did it? It worked?

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello you did it? It worked?
The project got abandoned about a week into mixing the 2 liquids in a small vile. I have a wife that has an obsession with cleaning and throwing away everything that isn’t buttoned down. Thinking I hid the vile just right I went to check on it and it was gone…..da wife struck again!

I did check in on it a couple times before she chunked it and the solution looked stable with no separation (I wouldn’t touch it because I wanted to see if it would separate). Visually looks like it can be done….chemically, I’m not sure. Sorry but, that’s all I got.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say mixing the two is probably not ideal.

All for reef itself is a organic mixture with added iron compounds. By it's own, it is able to support some bacteria growth.

If amino acid is mixed in, perhaps the bacteria growth will be even faster.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about mixing different amino acid products together?

Like mixing AcroPower and ME Coral Polyp Extender?

I'm currently dosing AcroPower 24/7 on my doser. I'd like to start dosing ME Polyp Extender too.
Wondering if I can just mix the two together in a single dosing container and dose them together.... saving a dosing pump/head in the process and another container.

I'm currently dosing AcroPower 24/7. I'd also like to do the same with ME polyp extender since it also doesn't need refrigeration.
I'm currently also dosing AB+ and Aquavitro Fuel daily by hand, since those need to be refrigerated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about mixing different amino acid products together?

Like mixing AcroPower and ME Coral Polyp Extender?

I'm currently dosing AcroPower 24/7 on my doser. I'd like to start dosing ME Polyp Extender too.
Wondering if I can just mix the two together in a single dosing container and dose them together.... saving a dosing pump/head in the process and another container.

I'm currently dosing AcroPower 24/7. I'd also like to do the same with ME polyp extender since it also doesn't need refrigeration.
I'm currently also dosing AB+ and Aquavitro Fuel daily by hand, since those need to be refrigerated.

I think it likely you can mix two amino acids solutions without issue.

What is it about the two that you think is better than one?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it likely you can mix two amino acids solutions without issue.

What is it about the two that you think is better than one?
Good question and I guess I don't have an answer... I had read where you said you preferred dosing aminos over dosing nitrate. So instead of dosing nitrate, I figured I'd try dosing some aminos for a bit. I had already had the Acropower when I decided to look into a few other amino products. Seems many need to be refrigerated where ME polyp extender didn't, so I picked up a bottle of it hoping to put it on a doser.

I could not find any ingredient list for Acropower, so i'm not exactly sure what it is other than amino acids.

The ME polyp extender contains USP Aspartic acid, USP Glutumic acid, other proprietary ingredients including acidic acid as a preservative and carbon source.

Figured I'd try dosing both, or alternating doses between them.

Saying that, the ME Polyp Extender says it should be dosed 5ml per 100 Gal while the AcroPower says 5ml per 25 gallon, and both bottles are the same size/price, so if the ME polyp extender does the same as the AcroPower, at 1/4 of the dosage, I'd save some money using that one instead.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing with dosing both. It might akin to mixing two salt mixes, since they may both contain similar ingredients with some variations.

Doses are not likely based on anything other than the manufacturers opinion, so I’d be wary of determining cost efficacy based on that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back