Mixing and matching designer clowns

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my last post I mentioned that sadly all my fish died and my coral are being evacuated. Im gonna get another watchman but I want to get 2 clownfish. I was wondering if designer clownfish that are white or mixed can pair. Will the clownfish become aggressive if they don't look the same?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that they'd be fine as long as they are both descendants of the same natural species (Maroon/maroon, Ocelaris/ocelaris, etc)

And who knows - you just might end up with the latest and greatest that all the cool kids just have to have!!!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my last post I mentioned that sadly all my fish died and my coral are being evacuated. Im gonna get another watchman but I want to get 2 clownfish. I was wondering if designer clownfish that are white or mixed can pair. Will the clownfish become aggressive if they don't look the same?
Yes you can mix designer clownfish. Clownfish can be aggressive regardless (even if they look identical), so I would not worry specifically about whether clownfish of different colors or whatever would be more or less aggressive to each other.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this because I had a clown pair lonnnnggggg time ago and it was white and black. They were both occys and they fought. Then I got another pair same thing and they fought. Then someone I know bought 4 clowns 2 for a display tank and 2 for his 150 gallon. They were all different varieties and they fought for a while. He had to sell 2 of them since they were fighting and biting other fish

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this because I had a clown pair lonnnnggggg time ago and it was white and black. They were both occys and they fought. Then I got another pair same thing and they fought. Then someone I know bought 4 clowns 2 for a display tank and 2 for his 150 gallon. They were all different varieties and they fought for a while. He had to sell 2 of them since they were fighting and biting other fish
Ah gotcha.

Nah it's just individual personalities, nothing to do with colors or patterns or whatever (so far as we know at the moment).

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the border? Scars? Nipped fins?
There is really none. Sometimes it gets to nipped fins and then afterwards suddenly things are fine. Other times it seems like it's a bit of chasing and then next thing you know, one of them is dead.

It's the nature of keeping clownfish as far as a lot of people's experiences go.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have done in the past was keep one of them in a clear breeder box for a few days and on weekends let the pair swim together. Separate them after 30 minutes if there is any observes nipping.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three very different clowns. 1 - cliche orange percula - Periwinkle, 2 - black occelaris - Glub, 3 - Ora Captive Bed Snow Storm White Clown - Mr. Wiggles.
Of the three - only Glub is aggressive. He is about 4" and most definitely the tank bully. If he does not cool his jets when we move to the new DT, he may need to go find a new home. The other two don't bother each other or anyone else.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back