Mixing Gem Tang or Purple tang with Yellow Tang

Wolffpack Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Gem Tang, Derjardin Sailfin Tang, Blonde Naso Tang and Powder Blue Tang in my 120G .

All of them are added individually on separate occasions in the above order of listing, using combinations of (1) mirrors, (2) tank separator, (3) multiple nori clips, (4) “sumping” the aggressor for a week and then reintroducing to display with tank separator for another week; so far worked for me.

Also I believe as long as they are well fed, there’s no reason for squabble.
Hi! Curious - about how big are they all? I read that if you do introduce new tangs, try to get one larger so that it is less likely to be bullied, do you have any experience or advice on that?

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Curious - about how big are they all? I read that if you do introduce new tangs, try to get one larger so that it is less likely to be bullied, do you have any experience or advice on that?
Bigger does have its advantage at the very least its able to take more hits, and the smaller ones will think twice about picking on him. FWIW, I added a 5+" PBT recently, he's being "tag team" harassed by my Zebrasomas Trio half his size, but he's pretty chill about it.

Having said that I would recommend to still keep a screen between them for 1 week or 2. On removing the screen, do observe the aggression, where necessary remove and sump resident trouble maker(s), or the very least trade position amongst them. I wouldn't skimp on throwing in a mirror every now and then for additional smoke. Couple of nori clips placed on opposite ends do help.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back