Mixing Gem Tang or Purple tang with Yellow Tang

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member just joined the forum. I need your help please.

I have a 120 gallons DT mix reef (2 years old). Currently, I have a yellow tang (about 3.5 inch) and has been in the tank since the beginning, lawn mower blenny, royal basslet and two fire fishes. I like to add a new Gem tang (3 inches) or Purple Tang (2.5"). I prefer to have a Gem Tang. Please let me know if this is an issue with the Yellow Tang.

Thanks

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member just joined the forum. I need your help please.

I have a 120 gallons DT mix reef (2 years old). Currently, I have a yellow tang (about 3.5 inch) and has been in the tank since the beginning, lawn mower blenny, royal basslet and two fire fishes. I like to add a new Gem tang (3 inches) or Purple Tang (2.5"). I prefer to have a Gem Tang. Please let me know if this is an issue with the Yellow Tang.

Thanks
It’s very likely the yellow will not accept either but it’s possible .

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nevet know with tangs of the same a peices. I recently added two yellow tangs at once. I ran them through quarantine together with a section of eggcrate as a divider and I think be able to see each other and interact so to speak but not touch really helped. I added them to my 180g and they are swimming a round like best friends for the last few days. The real test will be when I bring my purple back up. I was able to remove him to timeout in another tank. The yellows are around 4" inches and the purple about 7". It should be interesting.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a purple and yellow in a 120 and no problem. Now they are in my 210 with other tangs and they are the most well behaved tangs. I have a gem and will stand up when being pushed by the desjardini or by the achilles.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Gem Tang, Derjardin Sailfin Tang, Blonde Naso Tang and Powder Blue Tang in my 120G .

All of them are added individually on separate occasions in the above order of listing, using combinations of (1) mirrors, (2) tank separator, (3) multiple nori clips, (4) “sumping” the aggressor for a week and then reintroducing to display with tank separator for another week; so far worked for me.

Also I believe as long as they are well fed, there’s no reason for squabble.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet would be an acclimation box for the gem or purple tang. Get them used to each other a few weeks.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a Purple and a Yellow Tang in my 240.
Had a little bit of aggression when I added the Purple, but the mirror trick worked perfectly.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fine adding the sailfin to the yellow but I have tried a few fish not tangs and it’s next to impossible to add anything more .

there was a recent post with a yellow beaten pretty bad by a sailfin tang .

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank? I’m assuming it’s either a 4’ or 5’ tank.
In a 4’ tank you shouldn’t have multiple tanks and in a 5’ tank even that’s pushing borderline IMHO. If you want multiple tangs in a 5’ tank then you’ll want to stick to tangs of different genera. Ideally only having one Zebrasoma and one Ctenochaetus. Zebrasoma is a much more active genus and I’m sure you’ve seen the activity this genus has just in your yellow (Which is one of the calmer species in the genus).

I really recommend against this, the tangs you want are highly active (as well as anggressive) and chances are higher on them not doing well together.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Gem Tang, Derjardin Sailfin Tang, Blonde Naso Tang and Powder Blue Tang in my 120G .

All of them are added individually on separate occasions in the above order of listing, using combinations of (1) mirrors, (2) tank separator, (3) multiple nori clips, (4) “sumping” the aggressor for a week and then reintroducing to display with tank separator for another week; so far worked for me.

Also I believe as long as they are well fed, there’s no reason for squabble.
That is amazing that you would be able to keep that many Tangs in a 120G. Would they outgrow the tank and needed a bigger tank?

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank? I’m assuming it’s either a 4’ or 5’ tank.
In a 4’ tank you shouldn’t have multiple tanks and in a 5’ tank even that’s pushing borderline IMHO. If you want multiple tangs in a 5’ tank then you’ll want to stick to tangs of different genera. Ideally only having one Zebrasoma and one Ctenochaetus. Zebrasoma is a much more active genus and I’m sure you’ve seen the activity this genus has just in your yellow (Which is one of the calmer species in the genus).

I really recommend against this, the tangs you want are highly active (as well as anggressive) and chances are higher on them not doing well together.

My tank is 4', I wish it was 5'

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think it is about 50/50 (yes/no).

What size of acclimation box you would recommend for a 3" Gem Tang? I will look for one on amazon.

I will try the mirror method as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think it is about 50/50 (yes/no).

What size of acclimation box you would recommend for a 3" Gem Tang? I will look for one on amazon.

I will try the mirror method as well.
For a 3 inch tang, you really want a large acclimation box (which may take up the majority of the top corner’s room in your 4’ tank).

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazing that you would be able to keep that many Tangs in a 120G. Would they outgrow the tank and needed a bigger tank?
I would if they are outgrowing it to my holding tanks (4x4x4 or 8x4x4), But for now the sheer numbers and good feed are keeping their aggression in check, also I have just relocated all my corals and rocks, in preparation of COPPER+METRO followed by PRAZI for parasite eradication. Going FOWPVC for the next 3-6 months. Also I may take this opportunity to add White Tail Bristle Tooth, Powder Brown and Achilles Tang.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not decided on getting the new purple or gem tang yet. I placed a mirror in of the yellow tang, as soon he saw the mirror he ran and hid behind the rock.

Does this mean yellow tang is not aggressive?

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not decided on getting the new purple or gem tang yet. I placed a mirror in of the yellow tang, as soon he saw the mirror he ran and hid behind the rock.

Does this mean yellow tang is not aggressive?
IMHO, YT is the mildest among PT and GT.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back