Mixing Halichoeres in a 55 Gallon

goose0211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at getting a Melanarus Wrasse and a Red Lined Wrasse (halichoeres biocellatus).

Firstly what are your thoughts on mixing these two - assuming it'd be better if I add them at the same time?

Any issues with my size of tank and having two Halichoeres together?

Finally, if I buy them as juveniles, as I understand it they'll be females, will they both turn into males or do they need a group of the same kind for one to become the dominant and therefore male - if I want a male, should I buy as a male??

Thanks

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Is your 55 a standard 4' long? If so, you can keep them together in that size tank. If you can add them at the same time great, but if not then I would recommend adding the biocellatus before the melanurus. If you get both as young juveniles the odds are very good that both will turn male. Watching the transition from female to male is cool to see.

OP
OP
goose0211

goose0211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Is your 55 a standard 4' long? If so, you can keep them together in that size tank. If you can add them at the same time great, but if not then I would recommend adding the biocellatus before the melanurus. If you get both as young juveniles the odds are very good that both will turn male. Watching the transition from female to male is cool to see.
Thanks, Its a reefer 250 so 3 ft long.

I'd def look to get both in at the same time. Have read a few worrying thing re the Melanarus and shrimps - I have a couple of cleaners and various hermits - possibly an issue?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Its a reefer 250 so 3 ft long.

I'd def look to get both in at the same time. Have read a few worrying thing re the Melanarus and shrimps - I have a couple of cleaners and various hermits - possibly an issue?
You may want to skip the melanurus. It'll pick on your hermits and snails as it matures. They usually leave cleaner shrimp alone but no guarantee. Biocellatus aren't as pushy as mels and are more invert friendly. My biocellatus attacks micro brittle stars if he sees their arms sticking out of the rocks, but he leaves my hermits and cleaner shrimp alone.

Edit - also I recommend a mesh lid for your reefer 250

OP
OP
goose0211

goose0211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to skip the melanurus. It'll pick on your hermits and snails as it matures. They usually leave cleaner shrimp alone but no guarantee. Biocellatus aren't as pushy as mels and are more invert friendly. My biocellatus attacks micro brittle stars if he sees their arms sticking out of the rocks, but he leaves my hermits and cleaner shrimp alone.

Edit - also I recommend a mesh lid for your reefer 250
Yep already got a lid. Thanks re advice on the Melanarus

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back