Mixing Radion and Kessil Lights

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting up a 120 gallon mixed reef. I was originally planning on two XR15 G6 and a Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture. I'm debating about adding a Kessil A360X in the middle of the X15s to add some shimmer.

Will the lights blend or will it be apparent that there are two different LEDs on the tank? I'm thinking the shimmer may be more intense in the center of the tank and weak on the edges.

Do you think it's overkill to have 3 LEDs and the T5?

Any thoughts or experiences with mixing Kessil and Radion is much appreciated,.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Kessil in addition to the XR15 G6 and Aquatic Life T5s? I have four XR30/XR15 G5s on my 160-gallon (6') mixed reef. If you're going with G6s you'll have more coverage and probably won't need either the Aquatic Life or the Kessil.

OP
OP
R

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Kessil in addition to the XR15 G6 and Aquatic Life T5s? I have four XR30/XR15 G5s on my 160-gallon (6') mixed reef. If you're going with G6s you'll have more coverage and probably won't need either the Aquatic Life or the Kessil.
Yes, the kessil in addition to two XR15s and 4 bulbs of T5. BRS said 4 XR15s for a 120 for SPS or two with the T5. Maybe different now with the G6.

I mainly want Kessil for the shimmer, but I'm not sure if the shimmer and spectrum would be even if I only use one Kessil

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want shimmer, and excellent coverage, I would go with 2 or 3 kessils in an aquatic life fixture.

1 kessil in the middle of a 6 foot tank would not provide shimmer on the sides. You could do 3 radions and 2 kessils, but it wouldn’t be cheap!

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been curious about doing something similar. Getting a Reefer S 850 G2 and thinking about two Radion XR30 G6’s with an AP9X in the middle to add shinmer

But I’ve been told the Radions will have some decent shimmer so now I’m thinking three Radions for uniformity….? Do the Radions not shimmer enough for you?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will already have spread with your t5 fixture. Add some shimmer with one or two kessils and call it good. If you are set on the radions then go for it but you won't need them.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a member who posted a really nice thread about using kessils with the Neptune sky. I think it's worth a search to find it.

OP
OP
R

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need more that one Kessil but yes. I would start with 2 or 3 and go from there as the tank matures.
That's why I was thinking going with Xr15. They are almost the same price as Kessils and have wifi prebuilt. The Kessils alone were too much shimmer for me and I'm worried that it might still be too much with the T5.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I was thinking going with Xr15. They are almost the same price as Kessils and have wifi prebuilt. The Kessils alone were too much shimmer for me and I'm worried that it might still be too much with the T5.
If you only want to add shimmer then throw a couple A80 lights up there with the radions. WiFi is not needed for shimmer just turn it on and turn it off.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only want to add shimmer then throw a couple A80 lights up there with the radions. WiFi is not needed for shimmer just turn it on and turn it off.
This will absolutely work and provide a little bit of fill light.

Last edited:

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
this is a customer tank that wanted to add a kessil to his radions. I make the mounts if you decide to go that rout.

20220505_144359.jpg

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going with the Radion/Kessil combo, and most likely adding in some custom 96" reefbrites down the road when I need them..

My 8020 design for the new build: (4 G5xr30 blues, 3 Kessil a500xs and reefbrites.)
lightrackSs.PNG
that is very similar to my setup.. hit me up if you need mounts specific to the rails your using.. I design and print them for custom DIY setups like yours. very affordable, and much less than what the manufacturers out there will list them for..
IMG_0820[1].JPG

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting up a 120 gallon mixed reef. I was originally planning on two XR15 G6 and a Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture. I'm debating about adding a Kessil A360X in the middle of the X15s to add some shimmer.

Will the lights blend or will it be apparent that there are two different LEDs on the tank? I'm thinking the shimmer may be more intense in the center of the tank and weak on the edges.

It'll be more than enough. I was running this setup w/2 A360xs and the T5 hybrid. Switched to the reefbrite (keeps heat down) /xr30 g5 w/2 a360xs flanking the xr30 - possibly overkill, but you'll be fine either way. 1.5 yr old system.

Attachments

• IMG_2942.jpg
    IMG_2942.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 105

reefsUP2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ran 2 xr30 and 1 360x and was very happy with the color transition and combination.

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is very similar to my setup.. hit me up if you need mounts specific to the rails your using.. I design and print them for custom DIY setups like yours. very affordable, and much less than what the manufacturers out there will list them for..
IMG_0820[1].JPG
I just DM'D you Neon Reefer I'm interested in purchasing from you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back