Mixing salt for new reef Inside the sump.. Large tank?

Reuben G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question I did a google search and I'm wondering with my sump setup and return pump setup "hammerhead gold". Would it be best to mix my salt slowly in the sump tank and let the return pump it upstairs for continued mixing ? Or should I mix it all upstairs in the display. The display has Rock and Sand already in it.
IMG_6830.jpg

OP
OP
Reuben G

Reuben G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do it in the sump if there’s already sand in the display. This is to setup your tank and not a weekly thing....right? lol
yes for sure this is a brand new set up. Just didn't want to test all the new plumbing with saltwater =) I mix in a brute normally this is my first new setup in a while

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I did my 150G. I filled the system with RO/DI water to double check for leaks and when everything was good I added salt to the section in the sump where the drains from the tank come in, and added a powerhead in there near the bottom to keep it from settling there as well, left the skimmer out of that section all together during that time. I'd add 2 cups of salt, then wait, the add another 2 etc. That way virtually no undissolved salt got pushed thru the return pump or settled in the sand & rocks. Return pump (Mag12) is still going strong 7 years later with the same impeller and all.

Keep in mind that the water level in the system will change as you add the salt, and again as it dissolves. I only mention this so you don't worry about water level too much until you reach target salinity and get the skimmer back in there and running.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back