Mixing salt in the sump

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having heard all the pros & cons I've decided to go ahead and mix my salt in the sump for the initial fill. Which compartment in the sump would be best? What about slowly pouring into the sock filters? Or right below the overflow compartment? I was thinking not a good idea to pour directly into the return pump compartment. Or does it really matter where - just anywhere in the sump? (Yes, I'm probably overthinking everything:p)!

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an initial fill, no livestock, anywhere is fine except for pump chamber. Undissolved salt can ruin a pump, it’s like sand until dissolved.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot. I’d fill the entire system with Rodi, get it running, All pumps and powerheads doing their thing, then just dump the salt in the display and let it circulate. Add rock and sand when salinity and temp are appropriate if using live rock and sand. If using dry rock and sand id put that in before adding salt

Gzfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot. I’d fill the entire system with Rodi, get it running, All pumps and powerheads doing their thing, then just dump the salt in the display and let it circulate. Add rock and sand when salinity and temp are appropriate if using live rock and sand. If using dry rock and sand id put that in before adding salt

I second this as the easiest solution.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats exactly what i did when i first set up my tank, put everything in place, turned everything on, filled with ro/di water, worked out how much salt i needed and just added a bit less than i needed and let the powerheads and pumps mix it, then just add a last bit to get the right salinity.
If you have no livestock then it really doesnt matter where or how you do it, just not directly in the return chamber.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats exactly what i did when i first set up my tank, put everything in place, turned everything on, filled with ro/di water, worked out how much salt i needed and just added a bit less than i needed and let the powerheads and pumps mix it, then just add a last bit to get the right salinity.
If you have no livestock then it really doesnt matter where or how you do it, just not directly in the return chamber.

I’ll be doing that with my next tank just to have the experience of dumping an entire bucket of salt in the tank at once lol

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a bit of puzzle.
I put my dry rock in trash cans and have been cycling it while I collected hardware for my aquarium. I have setup the aquarium hardware and partially filled it with RODI. Today, I rinsed and put the sand in the tank. I was planning to add salt to the tank and run a powerhead to mix it - BUT I am wondering, - how will I know when the salt is properly mixed since any sediment will not be visible on the sand ? I do not want to move the rock into the tank until the proper temp and salt.
Can salt be mixed in 5 gallon buckets of water at a higher concentration and then poured into the tank of water to dilute down to the proper mix?

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you fill the entire system with water and add salt it will overflow when you put in the sand and rock. If you add the sand and rock first, you have no real way to accurately determine how much water the sand and rock will displace so you have no way to accurately measure how much salt to put in. Not a big deal unless you overshoot and then you have to remove salt water and add rodi to get it right. Thus, easier to mix salt to correct concentration in separate container.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where ever the most flow is. Probably the display.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back