Mixing salt tank (scale and brown stain)

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been about 11 months since starting reefing. Including a salt mixing station fed with a 5 stage ro/di system. Incoming tds is 265 and output is 0. When replacing a heater in my 35 gallon mixing tank I noticed a yellowish scale and brown staining on the sides and bottom. The scale scraped off like dried paint. So I cleaned the tank with a scrapper and pad. I use fritz salt from day 1 and the DT, corals and fish, are doing well. I have two small circulation pumps in tank and a heater. There must be contamination in fritz salt as the tank is sealed and use only ro/di water. What are your thought in this, normal? Fritz? Etc? Should I change salt?

20191114_164324.jpg

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal. I get the same thing with io rc. I rinse out about once every 6months but only the thick chunks come off. I used vinegar once but it didnt work very well and my next batch of sw had super low alk. I rinsed well but I'm pretty sure it was from the vinegar.

jgg1133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Fritz blue box for around 3 years with no issues. I have a 55 gallon Norwesco container that I use to make my salt mix. I have a fairly large powerhead in there that I leave on constantly. I try to not leave my salt mix in the container for more than a few days, but I have gone past that with no issues.
I do get a little residue in the container, but nothing like you are describing.
I do take the system apart every 6 months and i thoroughly clean it out with a garden hose and brush.
I wonder if your powerhead isnt providing enough circulation and some of the mix is precipitating in the container?

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Fritz blue box for around 3 years with no issues. I have a 55 gallon Norwesco container that I use to make my salt mix. I have a fairly large powerhead in there that I leave on constantly. I try to not leave my salt mix in the container for more than a few days, but I have gone past that with no issues.
I do get a little residue in the container, but nothing like you are describing.
I do take the system apart every 6 months and i thoroughly clean it out with a garden hose and brush.
I wonder if your powerhead isnt providing enough circulation and some of the mix is precipitating in the container?
That's true, I always have sw in my barrel so that doesnt help.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See BRS videos on salts. Most do it. It happens with Kent and IO that I've used. I think Tropic Marin was the best for not having this issue with BRS but can't remember for sure. IMO it's not a big deal.

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two power heads. 420 gpm and I think the second one is 220 gpm. I usually turn heater off after mixing 24 hours.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back