mixing salt water- motor required?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question time, but...

Is it necessary to have a pump or powerhead or other motor constantly stirring the salt water when preparing salt water?

I would assume one can manually stir with some frequency until it's ready. But wondering how practical and effective that is, versus spending for utility motor to keep it mixing over night.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it necessary to have a pump or powerhead or other motor constantly stirring the salt water when preparing salt water?

I would assume one can manually stir with some frequency until it's ready. But wondering how practical and effective that is, versus spending for utility motor to keep it mixing over night.
I would honestly say no you should have some type of pump to keep the water circulating for Proper mixing and since you should let all new saltwater mix for 24 hours to make sure it’s mixed properly.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eventually got tied of dumping buckets so I got a Maxijet pump and stuck a vinyl tube on it. Then I used that to mix and pump the water into the tank. It now pumps water into my 30 gallon refugium. The things run forever.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a power head to mix the salt for at least 24 hours before use. It insures the salt is evenly distributed and completely dissolved for an accurate salinity reading. It reduces the potential for settling which is problematic for some salt mixes (i.e. IO Reef Crystals, etc.) as demonstrated in BRS Investigates review of major salt brands.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have seen that BRS video. My tank + sump is around 45 gallons. I plan to do daily small water changes (if we're out of town, they won't happen and that seems fine), so 1/2 a gallon or so. In short I don't plan to have a fancy mixing station setup, because (famous last words) it should be pretty easy to do with a 20 gallon trash can holding the month's water changes. I plan to use 5 gallon bucket(s) for the top off.

I feel like 5 gallon buckets of salt water prepared at a time will get tiring. But in all cases I'm not mixing up huge vats.

I'm persuaded it's important to wait 24 hours, and I don't want salt settling all over the place.

Just not sure how well "mixed" the stuff will be without a motor.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea blue bucket is completely clear in 30 mins and doesnt settle when the pump stops and it sits overnight....
But 5 days later it precipitates if not used.

Id use a pump. I like my cobalt mj900 and mj1200 for this task :)
Mj1200 just got upgraded to the RODI stations c02 offgassing bin though :)

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be using RS blue bucket. There was something on BRS about the blue bucket not being as stable over the course of a month.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, in terms of utility this is by far the cheapest part of keeping these reef tanks. I keep a maxijet 400 (8W) running 24/7 in a 32 gallon brute can for saltwater storage. I run an AWC system so it's necessary imo to keep a pump on it but I would certainly just grab a very small pump like this as it's done fine for my 32 gallons just to keep circulation going.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 small pumps in a 35 gallon tank. I keep it running 24/7. When mixing new salt I have a 200 watt heat to bring the temperature to 78 degrees. After mixing and validation of 1.026 SG, I turn off the heater.

20200624_132216.jpg 20200624_132248.jpg 20200624_132222.jpg 20200624_132237.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of this is subjective and heavily opinionated information posted in this thread.
My opinion and feel free to thrash me if so desired.

Basing complete homogenization on clairity is one way.
Not the right way however. But many feel this is the corect way.

Read the instructions on your salt mix and follow accordingly.
I to date have never read salt mix instructions that say "mix until clear and use"

You simply can not overmix the stuff. Some say you can but then I come back with well then your tank is way way overmixed then.
If its flowing its still mixing, or am I missing something here?

As to the question at hand, to pump or not to pump.
Well simply by the mixing instructions you have how much mixing is required, and do you want to do this by hand?

I myself in no way want to manually mix my saltwater even if was just 5 gallons or less.
Yes I am the epitome of laziness on these type of mundane things.
So I use a pump, and will always use a pump.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of this is subjective and heavily opinionated information posted in this thread.
My opinion and feel free to thrash me if so desired.

Basing complete homogenization on clairity is one way.
Not the right way however. But many feel this is the corect way.

Read the instructions on your salt mix and follow accordingly.
I to date have never read salt mix instructions that say "mix until clear and use"

You simply can not overmix the stuff. Some say you can but then I come back with well then your tank is way way overmixed then.
If its flowing its still mixing, or am I missing something here?

As to the question at hand, to pump or not to pump.
Well simply by the mixing instructions you have how much mixing is required, and do you want to do this by hand?

I myself in no way want to manually mix my saltwater even if was just 5 gallons or less.
Yes I am the epitome of laziness on these type of mundane things.
So I use a pump, and will always use a pump.
I agree I use two 5 gallon buckets to mix my salt 24 hours in advance and use a pump in both buckets and having it Circulate for 24 hours makes me confident that it’s fully mixed even if you cant see it after a few hours it could not be fully mixed.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pumps is not necessary, but certainly easier.
Small amounts can easily done by hand mixing.
Always follow directions for your salt.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s necessary so long as you get all of the salt to dissolve using your arm, a paddle or whatever. I used to do it this way and add an airstone to the container to let it aerate overnight. No problems.

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it 2 ways.
1). make my RODI in a 40 gallon recycled brine tank, add my salt mix with a mag drive pump with air intake line 3 hrs later good to go.

2). for 5 gallon at a time use 5 gallon water bottles, water from 40 gallon RODI tank into 5 gallon bottles, add salt mix use aerator stones to provide water movement to mix, 24 hrs later good to go. I always keep 40 gallons RODI ready and tested to go .:):cool:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back