mixing salt water- motor required?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good discussion. I've done both. I prefer to use a pump.

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well played Darren...

I've hand mixed and even used a paint mixer on a drill for an emergency water change. Preference has always been a MaxJet in a Brute until recently. New mixing station is up and running and I wonder why I waited so long to build it.
IMG_2488.JPG

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to use a pump, easy to set it and forget it until I'm ready to do my water change.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix 20 gallons at a time and mix with a pump for 24 hrs at room temp then off until ready for water change. Heat and mix again. Then use same pump to pump to 5 gallon bucket. Enough for two water changes for two tanks

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By nature of this hobby, we are equipment-o-philes. But I mix a gallon occasionally to replace skimate, I just swirl the bottle as I add water and it is fully mixed, by which I mean not only clear but stable expected salinity. And in a 5 gallon bucket, I can mix with a pump and the salinity will rise to the expected level over an hour or more, but if I use a kitchen spoon, it's clear and full stable salinity after a short but vigorous stir.
I use a pump routinely, but if I'm at all planning same day use, I use a spoon. My fish have yet to notice.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, the Red Sea instructions specifically say "DO NOT mix for more than 4 hours".

That IMO this does not make any sense.
Is the water not being mixed continually when its in the tank?
I am not disputing the salt mix directions but, I don't understand that.

What happens to it if mixed more does it turn into a solid.

Last edited:

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont like mixing by hand that much. when I first got into the hobby I bought a small used powerhead from my lfs for $5. just for mixing salt. Still works fine 4 years later

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to hand mix 5G with a wood paint stirrer. Then saw the BRS and added a pump. It's aimed down at a 45 degree angle so the water doesn't just whirlpool around. The angle mixes it better.My fluval pump has a suction cup that attaches to the inside of my 5 g bucket.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back