Mixing saltwater...Best practice?? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, we've nearly exhausted all of our saltwater mixing and storing tests. :p

On today's Investigates, we know two things and we learn two more!

What we know:

1) It takes longer to fully mix and homogenize saltwater than most of us thought.
2) Heat and flow during mixing seems to help keep yucky crud at bay and maintain Alk/Ca parameters

What we learn:
1) Is it just the heat that prevents precip and falling levels?
2) Is it just longer mixing time that prevents the same precip and level changes?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really want to try out the Tropic Marin pro after watching these mix videos. I can't remember which video it was but I think @Ryanbrs had one video where the fresh salt water was run through a sediment filter and seeing how each brand did also made Tropic Marin stand out if I can recall correctly.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to try out the Tropic Marin pro after watching these mix videos. I can't remember which video it was but I think @Ryanbrs had one video where the fresh salt water was run through a sediment filter and seeing how each brand did also made Tropic Marin stand out if I can recall correctly.

We haven't done a full test of each salt brand after each was freshly mixed and ran through a sediment filter, but Ryan has mentioned it a couple of times in previous videos and livestreams where we've now made "prefiltering" a permanent part of our saltwater mixing stations.

I did do THIS VIDEO where at the end of storage we took all of the leftover insolubles and precip and ran 20gal through a sediment filter. :)

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the longest you think you can store a salt mix for. I do auto water changes and would like to make a months worth of saltwater which is about 40 gallons for my 225. Right now I make 10 gallons a week.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read in the past that alkalinity is actually less soluble at higher temperatures which would argue for not heating it until ready to use. That would seem to conflict with your results. It would be interesting to analyze the sediment to see what it actually is; CaCO3 vs something else. If it's something else then it probably doesn't matter for our purposes

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back