mixing saltwater

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am new to saltwater and was just wondering about mixing saltwater. I have one of those little topfin pumps with an airstone and was wondering if that is enough to aerate the saltwater or if I should get a powerhead as well? Also how long should I let the water sit? I'll be using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and it's only a 30g tank so it wont be too much water.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

lapin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Reef Crystals:
NOTE:
To prepare small quantities, use 1/2 cup of Reef Crystals per each U.S. gallon of water. Mix as directed.
2. Stir vigorously to ensure a good mix. Although the Reef Crystals solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium.
3. Measure specific gravity with an Instant Ocean® Hydrometer.

Recommended Specific Gravity Range: 1.020-1.026 at 77°F.
NOTE:
1.4 lbs of Reef Crystals is formulated to create 5 gallons of saltwater at a specific gravity of 1.021.

4. Adjust salt level accordingly. If specific gravity is too low, add more Reef Crystals. lf too high, add more dechlorinated water.
5. Change 20% of aquarium water every two weeks to maintain optimum water quality.

USAGE NOTE: NEVER mix salt in an aquarium containing animals.

Reef Crystals is for established reefs with lots of alk and calcium consumption.
I would start with Instant Ocean regular salt

Redfoxtang

View Badges
Reaction score
I actually use cheap fountain pumps from Lowe’s or HD. Mix in a 5G bucket until it’s fully clear then do my water change. Some manufacturers of salt mix say mix for 24hours but I like taking risk!! But I’ve never had a problem doing what I’m doing now!

@lapin has you covered!!

OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Reef Crystals:
NOTE:
To prepare small quantities, use 1/2 cup of Reef Crystals per each U.S. gallon of water. Mix as directed.
2. Stir vigorously to ensure a good mix. Although the Reef Crystals solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium.
3. Measure specific gravity with an Instant Ocean® Hydrometer.

Recommended Specific Gravity Range: 1.020-1.026 at 77°F.
NOTE: 1.4 lbs of Reef Crystals is formulated to create 5 gallons of saltwater at a specific gravity of 1.021.

4. Adjust salt level accordingly. If specific gravity is too low, add more Reef Crystals. lf too high, add more dechlorinated water.
5. Change 20% of aquarium water every two weeks to maintain optimum water quality.

USAGE NOTE: NEVER mix salt in an aquarium containing animals.

Reef Crystals is for established reefs with lots of alk and calcium consumption.
I would start with Instant Ocean regular salt
Ok thanks, I just ordered regular Instant ocean salt and will use that until I add some coral

BeejReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
there are $12 powerhead pairs on amazon. they'll work fine for mixing saltwater. don't know how you do your setup for water changes, but if you have a wheeled dolly and a spot to store a trash can sized bucket, it's way easier to mix up 20-30 gallons once a month than to fiddle with five gallons at a time.

Then you go w Jon Fishman advise and get an economy return pump for mixing and as emergency spare. On water change day, you roll your can tankside, let the pump run for a few minutes to re-stir it, then pull out the hose and pump in the desired amount of saltwater.

Use pumps from different brands TOGETHER!