Mixing Saltwater

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to put in RODI Water first then adding the salt into the tank with two powerheads then adding the live sand once the salt has been mixed and finally the PVC Pipe? I’m stuck with RODI water in 8 five gallon buckets with lids so just trying to figure out which way would be better

OP
OP
ChandlerTingle

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a new tank, absolutely!
So I would put 19, 1/2 cups of Instant Ocean into the 38 gallon tank to reach that specific gravity range? This is my first time doing this so just making sure

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait at least 1/2 - 1 hour or so before re-checking salinity each time I always start with less, and make minor adjustments at the the end when trying to hit the 35pp 1.26 mark before water changes. The more flow the better. Look into Tunze 6015 or 6025 or bigger power heads, used are just fine, might be worth the extra investment long term.

Upvote 0

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am not a fan of the power heads at petco/pet smart. Just cheap manufacturing and short shelf life. If you can find used equipment on marketplace it may be a better route.

I have had decent luck with jebao brand wave makers off Amazon if you’re on a budget as some of the household names in reefing can be a bit pricey for people new to the hobby. Again, you can check for used equipment here or on places like Facebook marketplace.

Take your time and don’t rush putting livestock into the tank. It’s advice that’s often ignored by newbies but it’s valuable to wait and do things correctly with proper equipment the first go-around.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChandlerTingle

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am not a fan of the power heads at petco/pet smart. Just cheap manufacturing and short shelf life. If you can find used equipment on marketplace it may be a better route.

I have had decent luck with jebao brand wave makers off Amazon if you’re on a budget as some of the household names in reefing can be a bit pricey for people new to the hobby. Again, you can check for used equipment here or on places like Facebook marketplace.

Take your time and don’t rush putting livestock into the tank. It’s advice that’s often ignored by newbies but it’s valuable to wait and do things correctly with proper equipment the first go-around.

Would these pumps be ideal to mix the salt in the tank? I just want to make sure all the salt gets mixed and doesn't gather near the bottom

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would these pumps be ideal to mix the salt in the tank? I just want to make sure all the salt gets mixed and doesn't gather near the bottom

Sure they’ll mix water. The suction cup will also crust and harden up after a few months and they won’t stick to the glass anymore. I would look for a wave maker with a magnet mount.

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back