Mixing station ideas for mixing sugar syrup

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No-I am not dosing syrup as a carbon source;). I have a large reef tank, but my kids own a shave ice trailer and a lemonade stand. We mix our own syrup using sugar and I thought it would be very similar to a saltwater mixing station so I figured there would be a lot of input from all of you. Currently we mix 5 gallons at a time using a 25lb bag of sugar. I would like to mix around 50 gallons at a time, then use it to fill smaller jugs. I wasn't sure if I could just buy a tank and throw a big powerhead in it or if I should use an external pump. I don't need it to constantly stir the syrup after its mixed. The syrup is still very fluid (not thick like pancake syrup). What kind of setup would you recommend? Any ideas?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a 55 drum, put two holes in the side, one near the bottom and another at least 1/2 towards the top and plumb an external pump to draw from the upper hole and return near/ at the bottom so that the pump is blowing water at the pile of sugar that sits on the bottom when you first add sugar into the water.

Use valves and unions on the pump so you can switch it out if it fails full.

should work well as a salt mixing station on your days off. :)

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a 55 drum, put two holes in the side, one near the bottom and another at least 1/2 towards the top and plumb an external pump to draw from the upper hole and return near/ at the bottom so that the pump is blowing water at the pile of sugar that sits on the bottom when you first add sugar into the water.

Use valves and unions on the pump so you can switch it out if it fails full.

should work well as a salt mixing station on your days off. :)
Thats kind of what I had in mind. Do you have an idea of a size of pump I would need?

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be simpler to use a large food safe container, a motor in the lid and a stainless mixing head.
I agree. I’ve looked at some larger tanks with lids. If I use a motor-I’m not sure where or what type of motor to get. Have you seen anything that would work?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats kind of what I had in mind. Do you have an idea of a size of pump I would need?
Depends on how fast you need to get it done, the viscosity of the final solution and there are probably a few pumps that will work

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grainger used to sell Rainbow Lifegard external pump that was food grade and very reliable.

you will probably want an option to pump the solution from the barrel so a manifold inside To allow you to draw from the bottom, and also a delivery hose with a valve and nozzle could finish off the set up.

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grainger used to sell Rainbow Lifegard external pump that was food grade and very reliable.

you will probably want an option to pump the solution from the barrel so a manifold inside To allow you to draw from the bottom, and also a delivery hose with a valve and nozzle could finish off the set up.
So I was thinking of buying a 65 gallon cylindrical tank with a bulkhead in the bottom similar to a lot of setups I’ve seen. Should I drill another hole in th side for a return in order to stir the syrup?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking of buying a 65 gallon cylindrical tank with a bulkhead in the bottom similar to a lot of setups I’ve seen. Should I drill another hole in th side for a return in order to stir the syrup?
Assuming the cone has a tap for syrup removal then I think you should fill the cone with your 55 gallons(?) of water, or whatever amount of water you plan on adding to mix with 25 lbs(?) of sugar and then drop down ~6 inches and add a tank adapter (bulkhead) for the pump intake. If there is a flat area in the tank wall that might seal better I would probably use that if it is available. For mixing salt I use a fishnet and pour the crystals into the net and allow it to dissolve through the net to keep the undissolved mass from sitting on the bottom. The water blowing into the sugar should dissolve it fairly quickly.

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’d feed the bee yard I would throw a bag of sugar into a 5 gallon bucket and fill with scorching hot water from the bath tub. Bees require a similar 1:1 ratio. Cordless drill to mix, done in 60 seconds. Throw a lid on and store in a cool place to avoid fermentation if not using immediately.

Easy to make, store, and transport. And clean up is a breeze.

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’d feed the bee yard I would throw a bag of sugar into a 5 gallon bucket and fill with scorching hot water from the bath tub. Bees require a similar 1:1 ratio. Cordless drill to mix, done in 60 seconds. Throw a lid on and store in a cool place to avoid fermentation if not using immediately.

Easy to make, store, and transport. And clean up is a breeze.
That’s great. I’m a beekeeper as well but I need to make at least 100 gallons of syrup so I can have it on hand quickly. I use your method currently but just need bigger quantities.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back