Mixing tangs - 1 species or mix it up

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a ton of information on this (or maybe I was looking in the wrong place). I have a 300 gallon tank (8 feet x 24 inches x 30 inches) and tangs are on my stocking list. My question is, will multiple tangs of the same species do better than an assortment of different tang species? The species I would most likely keep in a group of the same species would be a group of blue tangs or some type of Ctenochaetus tang. Though would love any other suggestions of which might work in a group. All would be purchased at the same time and same size, most likely 5-6 of each. Really beautiful to me seeing a large group of tangs all swimming together in nature.

Last edited:

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have a big enough tank to mix the same genius imo add them at same time

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a ton of information on this (or maybe I was looking in the wrong place). I have a 300 gallon tank (8 feet x 24 inches x 30 inches) and tangs are on my stocking list. My question is, will multiple tangs of the same species do better than an assortment of different tang species? The species I would most likely keep in a group of the same species would be a group of blue tangs or some type of Ctenochaetus tang. Though would love any other suggestions of which might work in a group. All would be purchased at the same time and same size, most likely 5-6 of each. Really beautiful to me seeing a large group of tangs all swimming together in nature.
Should be good with a group of blue tangs with a tank that big! Ive got 4 tangs in my six foot 125, different kinds except for my yellow and purple tangs.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In a tank of that size you should be find as long as you have three or more of each one. That being said, you can also mix a variety of tangs if you prepare right. I have regal blue, desjardini, sailfin, Tomini, Scopus, and two rabbit fish in a S1000 210g 7’ tank. I introduced them all at the same time so that none established territory prior to an introduction. I also have a powder blue, koles tang, lieutenant tang, and lavender in at 110g 5’ reef. Again all introduced at about the same size and at the same time. QT’d all during same time then out into tank on the same day.

I wouldn’t recommend the sailfin desjardini mix, but the sailfin was bigger than the other input in the 110 so I had to put it with the larger tangs I. The bigger tank.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank of that size you should be find as long as you have three or more of each one. That being said, you can also mix a variety of tangs if you prepare right. I have regal blue, desjardini, sailfin, Tomini, Scopus, and two rabbit fish in a S1000 210g 7’ tank. I introduced them all at the same time so that none established territory prior to an introduction. I also have a powder blue, koles tang, lieutenant tang, and lavender in at 110g 5’ reef. Again all introduced at about the same size and at the same time. QT’d all during same time then out into tank on the same day.

I wouldn’t recommend the sailfin desjardini mix, but the sailfin was bigger than the other input in the 110 so I had to put it with the larger tangs I. The bigger tank.
Thanks! Thursday I actually got 4 biota yellow tangs for my tank. They definitely spar right now but no one is singled out and they don't seem stressed. Hopefully it will pass somewhat as they get used to eachother. They are definitely big eaters!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks! Thursday I actually got 4 biota yellow tangs for my tank. They definitely spar right now but no one is singled out and they don't seem stressed. Hopefully it will pass somewhat as they get used to eachother. They are definitely big eaters!
Back in the 90’s when they were $20 apiece I had great success with multiple yellows. I would keep a sailfin with them no problem. But now I would do a desjardini as they are prettier. Also easier to keep different sub-species together. So adding a purple with a group of yellows may not work as well as say adding a Tomini, or regal blue, as they are not only different color, but different shape.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back