Mixing Zebrasoma Tangs, did I just order a ticket to fightclub?

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Let me start of with my current stocklist:

Pair of Fancy Longfin Clowns
Yellow Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
3x Chromis
Fire Red Shrimp
Blueside Wrasse
Pink Margin Wrasse
Marginalis Butterfly
Algae Blenny
Diamond Watchman Goby
Ruby Red Scooter Dragonet

Currently on order at TSM: Desjardini Sailfin Tang / Longnose Butterfly / Leopard Wrasse

To get to the point, I will be adding a Desjardini Sailfin Tang to the (established) yellow tang. I had previously added a Margined Butterfly fish and the yellow tang was pretty timid besides the 5 hours or so, ever since the second day I have never had to worry about that yellow tang. However I have read mixing a tangs is obviously a mixed bag and sometimes results in problems or even death. But I have read that if you mix in 3's and add the new additions at the same time (I have 2 weeks till TSM finishes QT on the Sailfin) Should I add another Zebrasoma, like a purple/scopas or gem tang to the tank? I can wait on adding the Sailfin, if I buy another fish and QT. This way it would result in a trio of Zebrasoma tangs, and presumably be way less aggression?

My tank is currently extremely peaceful, I feed 4 times a day, I can supply more Nori etc.

Please advise.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a qt setup at home? If so, you can pull the existing tang out and add to the qt with the sail fin at the same time and try to get them acclimated by either putting a divider in until they settle if they are fighting, and then reintroduce them together back into the display tank

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to tape a mirror to the side of the tank and let the existing tang take out its acres soon against home self for a bit while adding the sail fin in.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a qt setup at home? If so, you can pull the existing tang out and add to the qt with the sail fin at the same time and try to get them acclimated by either putting a divider in until they settle if they are fighting, and then reintroduce them together back into the display tank

Yes I have my old setup (40b + 20l sump) that I can use for stuff like this. Its not running but I can set it up in hours.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Generally speaking this will ultimately be decided by the personalities of the individual fish. Some people have great luck at mixing multiple tangs and/or multiples of the same genus and others will swear up and down that it will always result in failure.

Here is a great article that talks about some of the challenges and solutions regarding mixing tangs. Unfortunately these are suggestions and proposed problem solving strategies -- they all might work or none of them may work. I'd personally recommend mixing and introducing all of your tangs at once when possible.

If the Desjardini is going to be the last tang added to the tank -- then I'd suggest adding it with the lights off or using an acclimation box, etc. and being prepared to attempt to manage aggression issues that crop up. Simply be prepared to have to re-home one of them if that ends up being the case.

If you're thinking about adding more tangs regardless of genus I'd try to get that figured out first in relation to your tank size. I love Desjardini's but they can grow into dinner plates on you much quicker than a yellow in my experience so plan accordingly!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back