OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back once again with an equipment update. I got a Viparspectra 165W which seems to have decent coverage over the tank.

Only problem has been nitrite while cycling my aquarium. I haven’t done any water changes or anything. I’m on day 16 of Dr. Tim’s. Ever since day 4 or so nitrites have been 2-5+ppm hard to tell a difference. Might’ve been a noob move on my part but I added more ammonia to follow the chart they give once so day 6 or 7? and it processed the ammonia within 24 hours. Should I do a water change? Or wait for my test kit to read 0 nitrites? I’ve seen conflicting things not too sure how to proceed.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: cycle hit 0 nitrites two days ago (April 5) HOORAY, dosed 2ppm ammonia yesterday (April 6) and we’re back to sky high nitrites BOOO. The wait continues lol

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back once again with 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates today. Dosed another 2ppm of ammonia we’re getting closer to the first fish!

plan on getting a skimmer, heater controller, and media baskets (poly filter is extremely useful) to replace the filter socks but I’m not too sure which one to go with for the skimmer.

link to the filter baskets for anyone interested: https://kreativerides.com/products/...40888&pr_ref_pid=7815988379896&pr_seq=uniform

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back again wit GREAT NEWS we are going offically cycled. I plan to do a water change tomorrow 20-30% my nitrates are pretty low and get some fish in by Saturday/Sunday. If anyone sees this I’m open to recommendations love seeing new fish to research. Was thinking about a goby of or maybe banggai cardinals? Would love a tail spot but after my last experience I’m a bit scared

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a few fish and a small cuc done into the tank, Longnose Hawkfish and a Yellow Coris Wrasse. The Wrasee went into the sand pretty much immediately which is what I expected but the hawkish ate pretty well for being newly acclimated. Also got 4 blue legged hermits to clean up after for any leftover food. Next up on the list are maybe some snails like nassarious to clean up and get the sand moving around
BACE1A42-BFF0-4708-8535-57BE921ECE10.jpeg
977C87EE-E632-434C-9BF5-5B49BCDFE75A.jpeg
7515A687-1CA2-4ECC-B278-A550EEB8A2E6.jpeg

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week One:
So far everything has been going well, my wrasse has been out and about but is a bit of a scaredy cat but the longnose is a true character I love this fish. Over the last week I got some zoas, gsp, and a Kenya tree. And got some new additions today a hammer, candy cane, and some mushrooms. Trying to go with hardier corals that’ll survive and fill out sorta quickly
0C063039-D866-4767-81F2-69B476FC2C43.jpeg
2D1EDF03-BF47-4943-9213-81C74C2AD42C.jpeg

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back once again with another update. I’ve added in a bicolor blenny yesterday but this morning my wrasse started flashing and rubbing against rocks. Maybe he stressed him out. But honestly it just clicked on me that I need a quarantine tank. Tomorrows plan is to get a 15 gal setup and toss all 3 in if I can. I’ll most likely do a 3-4 week quarantine and continue that process for any fish I want to add in the future.

I’ve also been considering a UV sterilizer for my DT as well as just another precautionary measure against any disease. I’ve heard varying results though.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea the tank has recovered pretty well. I learned it wasn’t even ich but my yellow coris wrasses just being extremely finnicky. I have made use of an observation tank as well though. Currently the stocking is the yellow coris, banded possum wrasse, a tailspot blenny, green war paint goby, and the long nose. Also added a pincushion urchin as well for algae.

Next up is to really stock the tank with coral. I’ve been reaching out to people on fb and going to local stores I had a bit of die off due to salinity swings around mid June.

Other new additions are the intank media baskets to replace filter socks and these things are a 10/10 so much gunk has been filtered out I love them. I currently run actuated carbon, two sponges, and filter pads

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One update is the bicolor blenny was EXTEMELY aggressive this marks the second time I’ve had a run in with crazy blennies lol. I caught him and returned him to a lfs around mid may. He was tanking actual bites at my wrasse which I suspected to be the issue I had seen when I last updated this thread.

Currently still having some issues with my Zoas and getting them to open up. I had really bad algae around mid may and the last month or so I’ve really dialed in on my tank and trying to get it to a really nice condition. A fighting conch was added a while back and he seems to be getting the job done but my sandbed still is facing a bit of the uglies. So I want to add more nassarius snails. The next new livestock additions will likely come within the next day or so as I planned on visiting my lfs to get maybe 2 fish and a cleaner shrimp.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next update, I got two clowns added to my feed today. Parents do not like the idea of a second tank QT tank so I went with my next best option. LFS near me has captive bred and quarantined fish for sale. We’ll see how they do. Got coral coming in this Tuesday as well.

One thing I’ve been thinking about doing is redoing my aqua scape just a tad. Adding more hiding spots for fish so they have their own territory would be nice.
IMG_0174.jpeg

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW ADDITIONS:
Added a coral beauty and a cleaner shrimp. We’ll see how lucky I am lol. Clowns have acclimated pretty nicely and I’ve been battling Dino’s/cyano??

CYANO/DINO BATTLE:
Either way I raised my tank temp over the last 2 weeks to around 80-81 and they’ve been very set back. I’m thinking it was Dino’s due to my low nitrate and phosphate (0ppm for both 2 months ago). They’ve steadily raised and phosphate sits at .06ppm and Nitrate is about 10pm. The Dino’s are on its last legs though. Green film algae has been taking over and my urchin has been good at keeping that at bay. I’m starting to work towards an equilibrium which is very nice. Meant to grab a microscope and UV Sterilizer to confirm and completely eradicate them though.

OTHER UPDATES:
I am looking for inspiration on coral placement. My old tank I never really had much so this is a new challenge for me. I do want to rent a per meter to get a good look at where things will thrive.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back