Mobile-alerts, affordable controller by a non-aquarium company to protect your tank.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobile-alerts is made by a German company and meant to guard your house, but i noticed that a couple of sensors are usefull for a reeftank.

I purchased the gateway that includes a power outage sensor, which sends an alert to your phone in case of a power outage. Also available and purchased are water temperature sensors and leak detectors.
All three including the gateway was around 130 euro's (here in Europe).

Other available sensors are door-/window sensors and a weather station, and probably some more. Not for the tank but quite handy.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
interested... :cool:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smartthings hub and a few inexpensive sensors will do the same thing. for way less than 130 Euro.

OP
OP
H

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smartthings hub and a few inexpensive sensors will do the same thing. for way less than 130 Euro.
Does that hub provides your router with power in case of a power outage so it can send an alert to your phone?
The Mobile-alerts gateway does.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, When your smart things hub goes offline, you will get a notification via email or a notification via the smartthings app.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't power your router, but you will be notified if/when the hub is disconnected for whatever reason.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition, you can link all your smart plugs and switches to smartthings, which also works with alexa/Google so you can control everything via voice/Alexa and use it to setup routines and timers.

OP
OP
H

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't power your router, but you will be notified if/when the hub is disconnected for whatever reason.
For starters your sensors won't work anymore so being for example at work and receiving the alert you don't know where the alert is for/is urgent or not, only that there is a disconnect. Also, at night when you are sleeping your phone is most likely connected to your router by wifi. In case of a sudden power outage your router won't send your phone anything (in my case i don't always have 3G/4G internet on my phone available).

The Mobile-alerts gateway keeping your router/internet online in case of a power outage is a key feature for me personally. I want to know where the alerts are for under all circumstances.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mobile gateway only powers your router for 10 minutes during a power outage.

The smartthings hub will notify you if you lose power or internet connection.

Also keep in mind your router being powered for 10 minutes doesnt do much good if your modem isn't powered up too. Does that unit power your modem too or just a router?

OP
OP
H

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mobile gateway only powers your router for 10 minutes during a power outage
10 minutes is more than sufficient, your router only needs a second to notify your phone.

The smartthings hub will notify you if you lose power or internet connection.

When your phone is connected to your router by wifi (while you sleep at night) and there is no 3G/4G internet available you won't get any notification when there is a poweroutage.

Also keep in mind your router being powered for 10 minutes doesnt do much good if your modem isn't powered up too. Does that unit power your modem too or just a router?

Aren't modem and routers all-in-one nowadays? The gateway has one 12V power outlet which you connect to - in my case - a modem-router.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 minutes is more than sufficient, your router only needs a second to notify your phone.

When your phone is connected to your router by wifi (while you sleep at night) and there is no 3G/4G internet available you won't get any notification when there is a poweroutage.

Aren't modem and routers all-in-one nowadays? The gateway has one 12V power outlet which you connect to - in my case - a modem-router.
With the smartthings hub, you will still get a notification when your power or internet goes out. The notifications are sent via the smartthings servers, not your own equipment. When the smartthings servers lose connection with your hub at home, the servers/cloud send out notifications to your app on your phone and or email or text or whatever combo you setup. Your phone still connects to the cell towers and you still get the notifications.

Any sensor that is smartthings compatible will work. I use cheap generic sensors that were like $5 each. Here is one of the moisture sensors I used to detect leaks and a (air) temp sensor, just so you can see the size. Lots of cheap sensors like this available that work.
20211204_135407.jpg

I also have all my smart plugs and cameras tied into smarthings. I can turn on/off my lights, pumps, filters, heaters, protein skimmer, etc... all via smartthings and alexa/google voice commands. And all of them can be used in groups/scenes/timers etc... Lots of reefers use the Kasa or APC smart strips, which also work with smartthings too.

As far as modems and routers, I have (1) modem that is supplied by my ISP and I have two routers in the house that I own. The second one runs a separate guest network.

I just don't see any advantage that that system has over smarthings, which has been available for years and has a lot more support and devices that you can use.

With smarthings, I get 24/7 monitoring of all my equipment and if the system goes down for any reason, I'm notified. I then quickly determine why the system went offline and if need be, I can fire up the generator and power everything up if the power is going to be out for any length of time. Been working great for me and I had smarthings up and running in my house before I ever got into reefing, so it was easy to add my reefing equipment.

OP
OP
H

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the smartthings hub, you will still get a notification when your power or internet goes out. The notifications are sent via the smartthings servers, not your own equipment. When the smartthings servers lose connection with your hub at home, the servers/cloud send out notifications to your app on your phone and or email or text or whatever combo you setup. Your phone still connects to the cell towers and you still get the notifications.

Any sensor that is smartthings compatible will work. I use cheap generic sensors that were like $5 each. Here is one of the moisture sensors I used to detect leaks and a (air) temp sensor, just so you can see the size. Lots of cheap sensors like this available that work.
20211204_135407.jpg

I also have all my smart plugs and cameras tied into smarthings. I can turn on/off my lights, pumps, filters, heaters, protein skimmer, etc... all via smartthings and alexa/google voice commands. And all of them can be used in groups/scenes/timers etc... Lots of reefers use the Kasa or APC smart strips, which also work with smartthings too.

As far as modems and routers, I have (1) modem that is supplied by my ISP and I have two routers in the house that I own. The second one runs a separate guest network.

I just don't see any advantage that that system has over smarthings, which has been available for years and has a lot more support and devices that you can use.

With smarthings, I get 24/7 monitoring of all my equipment and if the system goes down for any reason, I'm notified. I then quickly determine why the system went offline and if need be, I can fire up the generator and power everything up if the power is going to be out for any length of time. Been working great for me and I had smarthings up and running in my house before I ever got into reefing, so it was easy to add my reefing equipment.
Which Smartthings sensor - compatible with Smartthings - guards your tank temperature? I haven't found cheap ones.

Why i want to keep my modemrouter alive in case of a power outage: for example imagine a burglar cutting of the power outside your home and then enters your home. The Smartthings server will only alert you in this case with "disconnected".
The Mobile-Alerts gateway with backup power for your modemrouter will send you 2 alerts: one with "power outage" and a second one with "door opened".

Also like i said earlier, i have a prepaid sim in my smartphone which not always has enough internet credit, i'm depending on my wifi. Without a working wifi i won't always get an alert when i'm asleep at night.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back