Mobile QT Tank with Slide Out Sump

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my bride is away, and I felt like making some sawdust. I told my pal Alex @143MPCo I was going to steal his mobile QT idea so he was warned. Another member @dragonfisher33 asked a question about a rolling sump design so I thought I would give it a shot also. So this is what I did this afternoon.

Designed for a 20g long QT tank with a 20g breeder for a sump (I already had both). I had wood left over from prior projects. I also had a set of casters. I did have to go to the orange store and grab some drawer slides. All else was already in stock! Four and a half hours later and I have a new rolling QT stand with slide out sump.

Last thing I have to do is figure out how I want to skin it. To stay with the "already have it" theme, I may do it in pallet wood since I have a bunch of it laying around.

The whole concept is I can roll the QT in when I need it, and roll it away when I'm done. I do not leave it up and running all the time and I don't have a fish room.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some pictures. Once finished, I guess it's time for a new tank mate. Maybe I should get it done before she gets back!!!

Here's the framing:

With the Decking and Pull-Out Sump Tray

Slide-Out Sump Tray

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bow to thee ole scholar of wood, thou has mastered the craft excellently.... It's nowhere near finished but it already looks better than mine ever did or has!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all you Alex...I am just a copy-cat at best!

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's killer love the idea and design. I would almost want to set it up as a DT, with a mantis and some macro algae.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all you Alex...I am just a copy-cat at best!
Hardly, you put your own spin on it, loven the slide out, fantastic idea!

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! Especially the pull out sump, that would make working in 1 easy peasy. Might have to use this idea some point myself.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Eric. The answer to your question is...I don't need it to slide out. Another member was asking for ideas on a slide out sump option. I commented on this design. Since I was board and building this anyway, I thought I'd try it out. Just being my own guinea pig!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! Especially the pull out sump, that would make working in 1 easy peasy. Might have to use this idea some point myself.

An awesome "Crash cart"! Great work!

Thank you both...

Funny you mention "crash cart". I wasn't going to mention this due to pure embarrassment, but I hit a pebble or something in the driveway after taking this picture, and the 20 long display quickly became a 2,000 long...as in 2,000 pieces. It fell off and the concrete drive won!

WARNING...not designed for rough surfaces!!!

And oh by the way, the dollar/gallon sale ended at Petco...lol.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened yesterday so Murphy had nothing to do with it...this was all David.

I told the guy at Petco his tanks weren't concrete proof as I replaced it today!

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @dbl, if I want to have the sump come out from the left or right of the stand as opposed to the front. how would you do your rail/slide?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @dbl, if I want to have the sump come out from the left or right of the stand as opposed to the front. how would you do your rail/slide?

The short answer is I wouldn’t try it going out the side. You would obviously have to use much longer drawer slides and I’m not sure you would have room enough to get as many as I’m thinking you would need. I really don’t think it will support the weight of the sump you’re talking about doing going out lengthwise. It would certainly require some type of support under the slide out tray once extended, if it worked at all.

In the spirit of full disclosure - I think this little experiment worked fine for a small system like I put together. However, I’m not sure I would do it for a 75g sump like you’re talking about doing. I think it’s just too much weight to be safe. The sump would basically have to be empty and your display would absolutely have to be full to keep the entire thing from tipping. May not be an issue, but it would be a requirement. Safety has to come first!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, just an observation on how you have the tray and the rails orientated. Most rails systems are designed to support the weight mounted vertically vs horizontally effectively pinching the internal slide and bearings between the two and offering a more structurally stable mounting system and thus greater strength for heavy loads. I think you will find that under full load you risk snapping the internal rail off its guide. This however might not be apparent right away but will take sometime to show after repeated use and might be something to test.

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is I wouldn’t try it going out the side. You would obviously have to use much longer drawer slides and I’m not sure you would have room enough to get as many as I’m thinking you would need. I really don’t think it will support the weight of the sump you’re talking about doing going out lengthwise. It would certainly require some type of support under the slide out tray once extended, if it worked at all.

In the spirit of full disclosure - I think this little experiment worked fine for a small system like I put together. However, I’m not sure I would do it for a 75g sump like you’re talking about doing. I think it’s just too much weight to be safe. The sump would basically have to be empty and your display would absolutely have to be full to keep the entire thing from tipping. May not be an issue, but it would be a requirement. Safety has to come first!

thank you for been the guinea pig and I appreciate your feedback very much.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, just an observation on how you have the tray and the rails orientated. Most rails systems are designed to support the weight mounted vertically vs horizontally effectively pinching the internal slide and bearings between the two and offering a more structurally stable mounting system and thus greater strength for heavy loads. I think you will find that under full load you risk snapping the internal rail off its guide. This however might not be apparent right away but will take sometime to show after repeated use and might be something to test.

Absolutely true Alex...I realize the drawer slides I used are not designed to be used in the fashion I used them. Probably should have mentioned that so I'm glad you did. This is yet another reason I'm not recommending this for anything too large. It will be fine on my little 20g sump used on a temporary basis, but I wouldn't be comfortable with anything much larger.

Just as an FYI, I've used these rails in a non-traditional application similar to this (non-aquarium related) and it has held up fine. Doesn't mean it's right, just means I've been lucky!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, so I don't leave this thread hanging, I thought I'd give an update. Put some finishing touches to the cart/stand. To maintain the "already had it" theme, I ended up skinning it with pallet wood. I even left it un-finished to maintain the rustic look.

I drilled the QT display for the overflow and return. I have a DC pump I'll be using for the return. Baffled the sump and will be using a Curve 5 that I picked up. Just need to plumb the thing and throw some water at it.

Anyway, here's the final product sans plumbing. I'll update once I get it wet. The last picture is the new mobile QT setting next to the main display.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.4%
Back