mode aquariums 135 or innovative marine 150

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I am in the planning process of my next tank and am looking at mode aquariums 135 or innovative marine INT 150.
Biggest difference is the sump and price, the overflow boxes, and stand removable doors.
Wondering which you would choose and why?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just my personal preference here but I think the Innovative Marine is a lot better quality tank than the Infinity Series shown here. I'm not basing this on much research just on the overall information provided by each companies item descriptions. Some of this is going to be obvious but a lot of the reasons I like the IM 150 better will be entirely personal choices. Below is an itemized list.

Innovative Marine Nuvo 150 INT
  • Aquarium Size
    • The Nuvo 150 INT has the same length and height as the Mode 135 but it also includes an extra 6" of depth from front to back. Because the price points are so similar I think its much better to get the larger tank assuming the space and budget allows for such a decision.​
  • Overflow Design
    • The Nuvo 150 INT is an internal overflow. I prefer ghost style myself BUT the Nuvo offers a bean animal design where as the Mode 135 is a herbie style. I'd never choose a herbie over a bean animal personally. If that's not a deal breaker then I imagine this won't be an overall negative. Keep in mind though that due to the Nuvo 150 being internal you are able to put the 36" tank much closer to the wall. The Mode 135 lacks the in-tank depth and makes up for it by requiring space behind the tank for the return and drain plumbing.​
  • Glass Thickness and Bracing
    • I don't have data to back this up but just comparing the two tanks it makes me very skeptical of the Mode 135's design. The Nuvo 150 INT has the same length and height with increased depth front to back. The depth front to back is not really a consideration compared to height when determining glass thickness - still. The Mode 135 is using 12mm (1/2") glass on a rimless design. The Nuvo 150 INT is using 19mm (3/4") glass on the bottom and 15" (~5/8) glass on the sides and a eurobrace. I personally prefer the utility and look of a clean eurobrace over a rimless aquarium but this is an aesthetic decision that isn't really relevant.
      • However, I will note that to me its odd that Innovative Marine used thicker glass and added additional bracing to their design compared to the Mode 135. This section could be a little incorrect because the Mode 135 product page talks about a "MODE Opti-White “Top-layering Euro-brace” but in the video linked and the product images on their website there is no visible eurobrace that I can see?​
  • Sump vs Lid
    • This isn't really a good or bad thing just a difference between the products. The Mode 135 comes with a sump and the Nuvo 150 INT comes with a netted lid. I'm not sure which is better I just know from my own experience I'd probably replace both of these with a custom choice by me if I were buying either tank. If you're planning to use an existing or a different sump, or vice versa with a lid then it might be a consideration for you.​
  • Plumbing Standards
    • Looks like you live in Arizona so this might be relevant to you but it might not be. According to the Mode 135 website all of the plumbing for their tank is metric where as the Nuvo 150 INT is Imperial / standard. I'd much prefer to use the standard sizes (3/4" 1", etc) compared to the metric counterpart when working on my plumbing but that's because I generally hard plumb my aquariums. If you're just going to keep it simple i.e. no manifolds, reactors, chillers, UV, etc. off the main return line it probably won't matter to you.​
  • Stand Design
    • I personally like the look of the Innovative Marine stand more, BUT looking at the Mode 135's product page it says that all the panels are magnet/removable which makes it so that their stand is fully accessible from all sides. Innovative Marine dropped the ball here in my opinion. A stand with 36" depth front to back shouldn't only be accessible from the front doors in my opinion. With that being said, you might like the look of the Nuvo 150 INT more than the Mode 135. It's something worth considering.​
  • Brand Recognition, Customer Service, Product Support, Warranty Issues, etc.
    • This last bit of consideration will also be a personal preference but for me personally I know Innovative Marine the company. They have a long track history of products in the US market and they have been in the industry at the LFS level for years. If I'm spending the money on their product I want to know they have stateside responsive reps that can be reached and will assist with my issues. I know Innovative Marine has good customer service and product support. I don't know the same about Mode. I'm not saying they don't -- just that I haven't experienced it personally.​
Hope that helps!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been looking at similar sizes and here's some of my thoughts.

I believe the Nuvo 150 needs the eurobrace and thicker glass because it's 6" wider.

The one thing I don't like about the Nuvo is that box is huge so you're only getting the same 30" front to back where the box is and the overflow goes coast to coast so you aren't really getting 36" it's more like 34.

When I talked to them on the phone they seemed not sure if you can mount powerheads off the back because of that coast to coast overflow. I'm not sure you can get a magnet in there and if you need to clean the pump what if the magnet in the overflow side falls, you have no way of getting it. You can't slide the coast to coast section out because of the eurobrace.

Users of ecotech pumps are a no go except on the sides of the tank.

The box on the outside on the Mode 135 is a cleaner look and easier to create better flow. You can also easily mount Tunzes or EcoTechs on the back wall to make them look less intrusive.

Crystal Dynamics also has a 150g Peninsula which I'd also look into. It's a little more expensive. They can also make a custom tank same size as the Mode 135, again the price is about 500 more (quoted to me with a custom stand at 30" instead of 36)...........no sump. I also asked for eurobrace, peninsula style,starfire glass and Synergy overflow.

I don't really care about the sump or plumbing as it's not a major factor for me.Not to mention I prefer to customize the sump plumbing and have no desire to work with metric as finding fittings is a bear locally.
CD does seem to have sales often so the price can be very close to the Innovative Marine and Mode tanks.

I've also looked at the Elos 120XL which is my first choice but the deal breaker is there stand just sets the price waaaay out of my range.

Any added opinion/thoughts are welcome on my comments.

mike wright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shallow tanks provide some unique perspectives just like peninsula tanks do but in different ways.

redtigrinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have been wrestling with this exact same question and although I do like the INT 150 better, I am leaning more toward the Mode 135 for a few reasons.

Pumps on the back wall. You simple cant do this on the INT 150. I love the idea of being able to put 2 or 3 MP40s on the back wall and never see a motor or cord. If I had to mount them on the side I probably go with something like the gyre pump since I personally don't like the look of the Vortech motor sticking out the side of the tank. This is the main reason the Mode tank edges out the INT 150. Aesthetically I get more of want I want with the Mode tank even though Mode does not check all the boxes.

Stand. This is tricky because I really like the IM APS stand, but they don't come in white! I prefer the flush look the stand has with the tank over the lip created by Mode's panels. I think the removable panels are a great idea, but I would have like it if they lined up flush with the tank to really give it that ultra clean look. That said the color is more important to me and I just don't want to be bothered with having to paint the APS stand.

Display volume. It's virtually the same because the coast to coast overflow. I really prefer the flush look you get from the Mode tanks with external overflow. I contacted Innovative Marine to see if they have any plans to make the INT 112 & 150 in an EXT version. Currently there are no plans to do so. I do like Innovative Marine's external overflow better than Mode's, which is why I asked.

Eurobraced. The Mode 135 is eurobraced. If it wasn't then this would definitely be a knock against it.

Under the hood. Sump and plumbing are included. While I definitely would love to customize my own sump and plumbing, I do like that the tank comes with these items because it definitely saves money. Potentially several hundred dollars. The metric fittings is not ideal, but unless you really want to run a manifold or something, this isn't a big deal imo. The upvc doesn't bother me.

Ultimately I think it just comes down to personal preference. I don't think one really edges the other out when you remove personal preference from the equation. If the 150 came in an EXT version they would be the clear winner for me, but the Mode just offers to much of the things I'd want over the INT to look the other way.

J’s reefreturn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I am in the planning process of my next tank and am looking at mode aquariums 135 or innovative marine INT 150.
Biggest difference is the sump and price, the overflow boxes, and stand removable doors.
Wondering which you would choose and why?
Innovative marine makes a great product and in larger aquariums. I am also looking at both for the new house, there are several reefing youtubers that have the 135. I think aqua man shalom and inappropriate reefer. I am following their stuff to see thoughts and feedback. Last thing, MODE sump is actually really nice and they do have DC pumps and skimmers at a discount that are extremely under rated but great reviews/reliability.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back