OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fish front, I have a Melanurus wrasse and a Yellow Watchman Goby that's currently in quarantine at the vendor. They should be ready in about 3 weeks.
melanurus.png

I have another marine vendor (who also quarantine's fish) on the lookout for a Potter's Leopard Wrasse and a Dusky Wrasse. Probably nothing happening there for a while.

The wrasse will be ready for pickup on 6/2--just a little over a week. Question is, am i ready? Pretty pumped to finally get one of the wrasses I was looking for and fully quarantined, especially at this time with covid-19. They also have a aiptasia eating file fish in stock that i may decide to pickup with the wrasse.

I guess i better make it down to home depot to get the light diffuser/egg crate for the temporary lid. Funny thing as i was looking at the reviews: several people were using this light diffuser for their marine tanks too.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my order from Jason fox corals. Nicely packaged and looking good. Acclimation x.

p.s. no coral-x for these corals. I'll place them directly in the tank. If you have ever seen JF quarantine process--it's incredible, you wouldn't either. If there's something on these corals, there's nothing coral-x would do. ;Happy

20200527_135545.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A light went off. What if I take the picture straight thru the glass and not at an angle? So much better.

I wasn't much into sps, but this stylo caught my attention. Beautiful.

20200530_211908.jpg 20200530_211851.jpg
That thing is amazing

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the temporary lid will look like that i made from a light diffuser bought at home depot for $16. Cut out 2 areas in the back for the light mounts. Eeeeezy Peeeezy. I'll attach 1/4" netting to this and we're done. Heck it doesn't look that bad. Maybe i should have saved that $350 for the custom lid.:rolleyes:

p.s. the 2nd picture has the netting draped over the lid for sizing. :)

20200531_140524.jpg 20200531_140752.jpg 20200531_140541.jpg

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my order from Jason fox corals. Nicely packaged and looking good. Acclimation x.

p.s. no coral-x for these corals. I'll place them directly in the tank. If you have ever seen JF quarantine process--it's incredible, you wouldn't either. If there's something on these corals, there's nothing coral-x would do. ;Happy

20200527_135545.jpg
That‘s why I have so many of his corals. Well..that and he has some beautiful corals. It’s a six month process. He comes to Reefapalozza every year so I don’t have to pay shipping and I have a 365 days to save for the following year :cool:

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up my Melanurus Wrasse yesterday from TSM Aquatics. Great LFS. They quarantine and provide incredibly healthy fish. So much easier on the fish to pickup rather than to have shipped.

Did a 3 hour acclimation. Not sure if this was really necessary, but I'm told this is how it is. My salinity matched the water it came in: 1.025.

Released the little guy into the tank and he swam to the bottom and stayed there looking lethargic. A hermit crab started walking his way. I'm wondering what's going to happen. Well, the dang crab bit him.:eek: He jumped and swung his head to get the crab to release. He went back to the bottom in the same spot. And the same dang thing happened. What? He started swimming in the corner of the tank and within 2 minutes dove into the sand and disappeared. I'm wondering if he'll survive the night?

I got up early this morning and by the time the sun was rising i opened the shades. He showed up about 45 minutes later looking hungry. I threw some LRS reef frenzy in there and he went to town on it like a pig. He swam around for about 45 minutes and took a dive into the sand for a siesta. This is about 8:30am.

About 1pm he showed up again. I fed him some LRS again and he munched. He stayed out until about 8:30pm this evening roaming around the tank checking out everything. He was picking at the rock the whole day. I assume he was going after copepods i had put in there a week earlier.

The fish looks incredibly healthy and vibrant.

wrasse3.jpg

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to raise the ph in my tank for a while. The highest I've seen in my tank was 8.0--with the windows open. But generally it has been 7.8-7.9.

I was thinking about adding a co2 scubber. Not much in cost, but another reoccurring cost with the media.

So, why not add a hose line to my skimmer and run it outside? Well, I did and got the highest ph reading I've ever gotten of 8.2. That works for me.

20200604_131806.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back