Modular Marine 2400 Gph Overflow Owners Chine In!

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What fittings did you use inside the overflow, and how did you tune it? Water Height, ect! I put two 2.5" standpipes for the primary and secondary, and a five inch piece for the emergency. I have a gate valve on the primary drain, but Iam getting a syphon sound from the secondary pipe.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the second pipe just open or is it a durso? This should be silent if done right.

bean-animal-2.jpg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I responded to this yesterday but must not have submitted.

Open your gate valve more. You need to reduce the flow in the secondary.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best picture I have ….. screen for the primary, U for the secondary and an upsized stand pipe for the emerency.

IMG_0447.JPG

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191125_170220.jpg

Left to right: return, main drain with a gate valve below, emergency drain, durso drain, return.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fittings did you use inside the overflow, and how did you tune it? Water Height, ect! I put two 2.5" standpipes for the primary and secondary, and a five inch piece for the emergency. I have a gate valve on the primary drain, but Iam getting a syphon sound from the secondary pipe.

Open the gate valve on the primary drain a little more. There more water flowing through the overflow than the primary can handle, cause it to fill the secondary pipe and create a siphon until it drains below the secondary pipe.

If you have a dc return pump that's adjustable, it may be easier to just dial back the return to get the the same outcome.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put two 2.5" standpipes for the primary and secondary, and a five inch piece for the emergency.

Your primary should be the shortest, the secondary a little taller than the primary, and the emergency taller than both. In this post it sounds like your primary and secondary are the same height?

Here is how mine is set up. The primary is very short and in the middle with a gate valve below. I tried to take a photo at an angle so you could see it. The emergency is on the far left and the secondary on the right with the U shaped pipe hanging above the primary. This is the only way I could get them to fit. I think I have the 1800 gph version though.

I don't know for sure what the purpose of the curved pipe is. Some people I talked to don't use it. I already had it, so I did. If you use it, it needs a hole to act as a siphon break since the only pipe at full siphon should be the primary.

mod marine plumbing 1.jpg
Mod marine plumbing 2.jpg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your primary should be the shortest, the secondary a little taller than the primary, and the emergency taller than both. In this post it sounds like your primary and secondary are the same height?

Here is how mine is set up. The primary is very short and in the middle with a gate valve below. I tried to take a photo at an angle so you could see it. The emergency is on the far left and the secondary on the right with the U shaped pipe hanging above the primary. This is the only way I could get them to fit. I think I have the 1800 gph version though.

I don't know for sure what the purpose of the curved pipe is. Some people I talked to don't use it. I already had it, so I did. If you use it, it needs a hole to act as a siphon break since the only pipe at full siphon should be the primary.

mod marine plumbing 1.jpg
Mod marine plumbing 2.jpg

This is how I have mine set up as well, it didn't take as much tuning as I thought it was going to take, but it is dead silent. I love it, and if I increase the return pump flow, I just make a small adjustment on the gate valve for the full siphon and I am rocking and rolling.

OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The prmary and secondary are only standpipes, I dont think there is enough spacing for elbows. I did open the gate valve, and the water is rushing through the top of standpipes, quiet noisy. My primary and secondary are both two and one half inches tall.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prmary and secondary are only standpipes, I dont think there is enough spacing for elbows. I did open the gate valve, and the water is rushing through the top of standpipes, quiet noisy. My primary and secondary are both two and one half inches tall.
I have my primary about 1-1/4" from the bulkhead on the bottom of the box, secondary has the elbows on it at about the middle of the box, and the emergency drain is at 1/2" from the rim of the overflow box. safest way I can think of running the system.
I like to have the water line just touching the bottom of the secondary elbow (that water level is controlled by the gate valve), this makes the overflow box itself quiet. the outlet of the primary pipe is 2" underwater with a slash cut to keep it quiet and makes it easier for the air in the line to "fart out" and achieve full siphon.

hope that makes sense buddy.....

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My primary and secondary are both two and one half inches tall.

This is probably the issue.

If you take a look at the photos I posted, there is room for 1 elbow.

I like to have the water line just touching the bottom of the secondary elbow (that water level is controlled by the gate valve), this makes the overflow box itself quiet.

This is how mine is tuned also. Edited to add, I have my gate valve on my primary (no elbow).

Last edited:
Back