Modular marine overflow: 1/2" vs 3/4" drains for a nano?

1/2" or 3/4" drains for a bean animal setup on a nano

• Total voters

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to pandemic I've been working non stop since March...6-7 days a week. I started back in January to try and begin assembly of the nano reef which finally came in the other day (ordered in April).

It's just a seapora/deep blue/aquarium masters 20x20x16 rimless. Fits my a available space perfectly and was priced reasonably.

Anyways, I'm going to order a modular marine external overflow for it.

At 28g I feel the stock 3x 1/2" drains are fine and probably preferred at my lower gpm turnover rate.

Is this correct thinking? Or should I go 3/4" in case I go larger in the future and for being a more snail/clog resistant setup?

Same price. More concerned with noise so whatever setup would be quieter. Can't imagine doing more than 180-200gph.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4” would probably be overkill. Your bio load in that size tank should not necessitate that you would ever need to go +1 on the flow/turnover.

OP
OP
S

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4” would probably be overkill. Your bio load in that size tank should not necessitate that you would ever need to go +1 on the flow/turnover.

I realize the 1/2" is probably fine. Modular marine said I could get the 8" long 800gph box setup with 3/4" but the "u" shaped tubes wouldn't fit then.

So I'm basically asking is it worth giving up another 4" of back wall space that could be used for a gyre or mp10 to go to the 1200gph overflow to get the 3/4".

I'm not concerned with handling flow obviously. I'm ultimately concerned with noise and clogs/overflowing.

Wasn't sure if oversized drains that had a minimumal amount of flow would echo or not work well.

I assume the lower the gph going both over the weir and going down the drain would result in a quieter setup.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back