Moisture proofing walls and venting ideas. what would you do?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good piece of information on Drylok pressure resistance. I can see a concern with putting a frame wall in front of a drylok wall with condensation but a layer of insulation would mitigate that issue. I am just hoping my new dehumidifier shows up soon as I am going to need it once my next tank in the system goes online after a fill test.
And the benefit of the dehumidifier is that it doesn’t steal as much heat out of the air as venting out would. A degree or so of power not required on the heater will build up.

with a system that big- have you thought about a heat exchanger set up connected to your hot water heater instead of electric heaters? Gas BTU is less expensive that electricity, and it can be set for a 1 degree swing. I helped another user - now out- set his up a couple years ago, and someone else created a big thread to describe it. The guy sent me his heat exchanger and solenoid when he got out and it’s sitting in a box waiting for me to sell my old house so I can get time to hook it up

fishyguy7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that acinfinity fan system looks like a great solution. have any pictures of how you did the duct work for it?
I don’t as it’s all covered now but it’s pretty simple. I used a small section of the included duct to connect a rigid piece to a register then another short piece to connect to an outside vent.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the benefit of the dehumidifier is that it doesn’t steal as much heat out of the air as venting out would. A degree or so of power not required on the heater will build up.

with a system that big- have you thought about a heat exchanger set up connected to your hot water heater instead of electric heaters? Gas BTU is less expensive that electricity, and it can be set for a 1 degree swing. I helped another user - now out- set his up a couple years ago, and someone else created a big thread to describe it. The guy sent me his heat exchanger and solenoid when he got out and it’s sitting in a box waiting for me to sell my old house so I can get time to hook it up

I already have my heat exchanger hooked up with a PEX coil heat exchanger to my hot water heater. I just can't start testing the system until I get my dehumidifier running as bringing the water up to temp will not help the humidity levels in the fish room. I ran a radiant heating system for my last system for several years and it was the best decision I ever made to heat this way. I am actually going to install two heating loops this time around one for the main system and one for the inline water change tanks to allow me to use radiant heating for water changes.

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently planning my 150 gallon build in a small office that shares the display wall with the garage. I have had thoughts about trying to seal off the entire sump, tank, and hood against the wall and running a small vent into the garage to prevent heat and humidity in the small room. My thoughts were either painting the wall with mold resistant bathroom paint or using plastic wall board. Then, cutting out and building a vent through the wall (sealed and painted) or a large piece of PVC pipe with a fan. I understand this will only transfer the moisture into the garage, but our garage has a large vent to outside which I could also use a fan in summer months if it is a problem. It also helps that I am in southern CA and we only have a few months out of the year that are difficult.

Just curious if anyone has ideas or has done anything similar. I see a lot photos of giant in wall tanks and fish rooms and wonder how they handle humidity and moisture?

In-wall-design-aquarium-900x598.jpg

random image found on google
My tank is located in my basement in a very large room. So humidity isn’t a problem. I also live in a state where humidity is low, so I can’t help you with this concern, but I did install stone tile behind the tank before adding water. It was easy and no demo required. I used STIK interlocking wall tile.

Attachments

• 158AACF0-E00E-445C-A332-F0B9DBC19438.jpeg
    158AACF0-E00E-445C-A332-F0B9DBC19438.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 92

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have my heat exchanger hooked up with a PEX coil heat exchanger to my hot water heater. I just can't start testing the system until I get my dehumidifier running as bringing the water up to temp will not help the humidity levels in the fish room. I ran a radiant heating system for my last system for several years and it was the best decision I ever made to heat this way. I am actually going to install two heating loops this time around one for the main system and one for the inline water change tanks to allow me to use radiant heating for water changes.
Nice!

I tested for a two weeks period, and went from $28 a month in heating during November, to $0.17.
Yeah, if I had bought it, it would have paid for itself within a year- not including heater replacement costs if/ when they go bad

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back