Mollies, monos, and green spotted puffer in our reefs.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to explain that anything posted on this thread will be about mollies, monos, and green spotted puffers in our reefs. IN MY OPINION!, these three fish should live happily in a reef, but remember that all fish are different and not all fish are as strong as others. I will answer questions and I will only do so if I know the definite answer. If not give me a few minutes to do some research on official websites dedicated to the question you ask. I wish to inform that I do not care if you insert your input on this, that is fine I encourage that, but please be nice about it. Thanks and happy reefing

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d imagine the puffers would make keeping inverts very difficult unless they were large.
Yes that is an issue they will definitely terrorize your cleanup crew kinda how people terrorized stores for to. The puffer will eat small to medium inverts in a heart beat but some people like me get lucky my green spotted puffer didn’t eat my inverts, same thing with my figure 8 puffer but I do not recommend figure 8 puffers for any salinity level over 1.014, as they will usually wither and die in a reef or any marine environment.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mollies I see in videos such as in the reef builders studio remind me of some wrasses that have large sail fins. Where does one get such colorful mollies these days and whats the best way to get them acclimated to a reef tank? Can they deal with high flow? Also, searching for them on google, is this quote true?
Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 8.10.15 PM.png

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mollies I see in videos such as in the reef builders studio remind me of some wrasses that have large sail fins. Where does one get such colorful mollies these days and whats the best way to get them acclimated to a reef tank? Can they deal with high flow? Also, searching for them on google, is this quote true?
This is not true mollies need to be acclimated into saltwater for at least 3 hours. You should drip acclimate them in the water they came with and just drip acclimate the using well some airline tubing you must tie the airline tubing so that the drop rate is slow and steady, do this and keep checking the salinity until it matches your tank’s water. Mollies with large sail fins are usually only found online but your local LFS could have some in stock if they specialize in both fresh and salt water fish. They do ok in the flow if you let them get used to it. If you see the mollies struggling then you should acclimate them back into freshwater. If they struggle and you have put them back in freshwater do not try acclimating them into saltwater anymore, it is likely that he struggled because is genes aren’t strong which means, leave them in freshwater. But if they do fine and start eating and swimming without trouble and live a long and healthy life then you should keep them in saltwater, but be careful that other fish don’t pick on them. That’s it happy reefing.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these balloons mollies at my LFS for $5 and one has the big fins(not the best pictures). So far they are doing well. They seems to pick at algae which is a plus. I’ve heard the normal black ones are more aggressive with the algae, curious if this is true. There aren’t many smaller algae eating fish for nanos and these make great additions.

EE3CC41F-2360-47B6-84E1-89B1CDFB4C5F.jpeg

66A366EA-1A75-4625-B4F2-76E2B5B595EF.jpeg

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these balloons mollies at my LFS for $5 and one has the big fins(not the best pictures). So far they are doing well. They seems to pick at algae which is a plus. I’ve heard the normal black ones are more aggressive with the algae, curious if this is true. There aren’t many smaller algae eating fish for nanos and these make great additions.

EE3CC41F-2360-47B6-84E1-89B1CDFB4C5F.jpeg

66A366EA-1A75-4625-B4F2-76E2B5B595EF.jpeg
They certainly do make great beginner algae eating fish. But I am a bit concerned on whether they are swimming fine. How long have you had them? Oh and I don’t know exactly if black mollies are more aggressive against algae but it is something I will look into. By the way I see a clown fish in the background, do your mollies get picked on by any other fish? Because a clownfish is the reason why I can’t have mollies in my reef tank. But well I’ll leave you at it, happy Reefing.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They certainly do make great beginner algae eating fish. But I am a bit concerned on whether they are swimming fine. How long have you had them? Oh and I don’t know exactly if black mollies are more aggressive against algae but it is something I will look into. By the way I see a clown fish in the background, do your mollies get picked on by any other fish? Because a clownfish is the reason why I can’t have mollies in my reef tank. But well I’ll leave you at it, happy Reefing.

I have had them for a little over a month. Yes they are swimming perfectly fine and as far as I can tell are healthy. They are in a tank with the two clowns, Midas Blenny, Banggai Cardinal and green banded goby. Everyone is getting along great although at first I put them in my other tank with clownfish that are much bigger and the clownfish kept chasing them.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them for a little over a month. Yes they are swimming perfectly fine and as far as I can tell are healthy. They are in a tank with the two clowns, Midas Blenny, Banggai Cardinal and green banded goby. Everyone is getting along great although at first I put them in my other tank with clownfish that are much bigger and the clownfish kept chasing them.
Then in that case as long as they aren’t stressed and happy they should do fine, but if there is any problems just let me know ok. Well then good day and, happy Reefing

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad that The Puppy Guru is making reefer aware that some fresh water fish can coexist with saltwater reef fish.

Here is my tank that has 4 mollies that have survived since December 17, 2019.

They even had babies in my tank.

I love mollies.

Wowowowowo, hold up I’m not saying these fish are freshwater these fish are brackish water. I now would never encourage a person to put a freshwater fish into saltwater. But aside that yeah I’m proud that you are enjoying my content and mollies are more community found in brackish water than guppies, that is why I do not recommend guppies for anyone anymore. But good luck keep exploring this hobby, Happy Reefing.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of a few topics I hope to do concrete research on once I get to college and major in marine bio. I hope to solve many of the hobbies mysteries. Along with saving the ocean.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of a few topics I hope to do concrete research on once I get to college and major in marine bio. I hope to solve many of the hobbies mysteries. Along with saving the ocean.
Yeah dude, that’s cool good luck with your college education and never give up. Happy Reefing.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I know Mollies in a reef tank tend to fluctuate between good and bad. Most of the time it really just depends on the genus of the molly. Poecilia latipina, and sphenops seem to be the most popular molly species to acclimate over to saltwater due to their higher numbers in brackish water in nature. These species of molly tend to have more pros in saltwater than cons. This speaking all fish are different and some might have weaker genes than others. For example some mollies are bred in freshwater but still most of the mollies bred today are, done so off shores in brackish water because it’s cheaper and easier to come by. So now if you have any questions just type them down below and I will answer them.

Back