Mollies, monos, and green spotted puffer in our reefs.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have not kept mollies long term in saltwater my display tank has always had a problem that has forced my hand into returning them into freshwater, but now that I have bred them and have a steady population I will now begin the experiment of seeing the long term effects on these fish.

My understanding of most brakish fish is that MOST of them only go into full salinity when they want to breed, and then return to brakish water and some even to fresh. With a few exceptions that stay in full salt.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of a green spotted puffer for my reef because I would love a marine Toby puffer but I am fairly sure even my quite large coral banded and cleaner shrimp would end up being expensive shrimp dinner. The gsp I have seen were very small and I thought the shrimp being so large would be safe probably. Is that not necessarily true, can small puffers handle big shrimp?
It isn’t rare to see gsp get up to 6 inches long so I would still not recommend keeping the puffer with shrimp or ornamental crabs.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of most brakish fish is that MOST of them only go into full salinity when they want to breed, and then return to brakish water and some even to fresh. With a few exceptions that stay in full salt.
This is true with many popular species such as salmon for example. And the fish that I’m talking about ( except for the molly) need to be in full marine as adults or else they will die a slow painful agonizing death.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true with many popular species such as salmon for example. And the fish that I’m talking about ( except for the molly) need to be in full marine as adults or else they will die a slow painful agonizing death.

I thought it true of mono's also, that they CAN spend time in fresh, brakish, and marine, but spend MOST of their time in Estuaries (brakish). The only fish you mentioned that I have ever read NEEDED to end up in marine water was the GSP.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it true of mono's also, that they CAN spend time in fresh, brakish, and marine, but spend MOST of their time in Estuaries (brakish). The only fish you mentioned that I have ever read NEEDED to end up in marine water was the GSP.
Right sorry for the confusion, mono fish as well need to be in full marine conditions as adults or else they will have so issues. Their life span can get cut down significantly. Sorry for any trouble or non specification. Thanks for pointing this out though.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monos can survive in fresh and brackish water as adults but their life expectancy can be filed down significantly. The ideal conditions for a mono is full marine and at least high end brackish as adults.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New duo inhabitants become a single lonely widow. The clown fish managed to slip his mouth thru the containment glass and killed my male golden snake skin guppy. All that remains is my female tequila sunrise guppy. ( the one in the picture)

14E101B4-CE59-4395-85D8-EB75F6261A99.jpeg

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molly fish are such a great addition to a reef tank and they are able to hold their own if large enough. My mollies are very capable of fending off aggressors.( minus the clown fish ). Mollies should definitely be a common fish we can get at our lfs in marine conditions for our reefs. Though there is not much research on the long term effects on the fish. I will begin breeding and taking care of these fish in marine conditions to see the effects close up. Hopefully this ends in success. Good day and if you agree that mollies should be a common part of the hobby then type it down below if not then leave any questions you have down below and I will do my best to answer them , Happy Reefing

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true mollies need to be acclimated into saltwater for at least 3 hours. You should drip acclimate them in the water they came with and just drip acclimate the using well some airline tubing you must tie the airline tubing so that the drop rate is slow and steady, do this and keep checking the salinity until it matches your tank’s water. Mollies with large sail fins are usually only found online but your local LFS could have some in stock if they specialize in both fresh and salt water fish. They do ok in the flow if you let them get used to it. If you see the mollies struggling then you should acclimate them back into freshwater. If they struggle and you have put them back in freshwater do not try acclimating them into saltwater anymore, it is likely that he struggled because is genes aren’t strong which means, leave them in freshwater. But if they do fine and start eating and swimming without trouble and live a long and healthy life then you should keep them in saltwater, but be careful that other fish don’t pick on them. That’s it happy reefing.
Many schools of thought in this. I've had 100% success just temperature acclimating and throwing them in the tank.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many schools of thought in this. I've had 100% success just temperature acclimating and throwing them in the tank.
Yes thought it is possible to just add them into a reef, this isn’t the proper way and the survival rate drops dramatically. Frankly I wouldn’t risk it and I would take the safe rout always. Sorry it took me time to get to this post.

burgundy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your dedication to expanding the hobby gup guru. their is a empty gap when it comes to small marine algae eaters, honestly all i know of is the lawnmower blenny and to be honest, not a looker but is a solid worker. their needs to be a more hobby wide appeal to marine mollies, small algae eater, active swimmers, school / communal fish that don't end up slaughtering each other over the course of months ( such as chromis ), a live food provider ( molly fry, RIP tho lol ), as well as easy breeders and they are solid cheap fish.

i have 3 mollies, that i converted to my salty beliefs over the course of 25 hours, in a tank with 2 clowns. the bigger clown likes the mollies more then the other clown... i'm keeping an eye on em, i don't want any stressed out fish friends. also before adding the mollies my clowns swam in place all day everyday ( as clowns do ) but after the addition of the mollies my clowns now swim around the whole tank and i would consider them active swimmers.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your dedication to expanding the hobby gup guru. their is a empty gap when it comes to small marine algae eaters, honestly all i know of is the lawnmower blenny and to be honest, not a looker but is a solid worker. their needs to be a more hobby wide appeal to marine mollies, small algae eater, active swimmers, school / communal fish that don't end up slaughtering each other over the course of months ( such as chromis ), a live food provider ( molly fry, RIP tho lol ), as well as easy breeders and they are solid cheap fish.

i have 3 mollies, that i converted to my salty beliefs over the course of 25 hours, in a tank with 2 clowns. the bigger clown likes the mollies more then the other clown... i'm keeping an eye on em, i don't want any stressed out fish friends. also before adding the mollies my clowns swam in place all day everyday ( as clowns do ) but after the addition of the mollies my clowns now swim around the whole tank and i would consider them active swimmers.
Thanks very much for the encouragement, and I do hope that if not me then someone else will spread my word and knowledge. BTW I also only used to know lawnmower blennys as small algae eaters. Good day great luck and remember, Happy Reefing

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mollies are very much active swimmers if not social swimmers, they can get other fish to rally up and they can breed like rabbits, a molly colony composes of many females and a little bit of males sprinkled in, there will always be a dominant Male in the colony.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone i hope your all having a good day I just wanted to say thanks for all the constant support i receive I love that you all enjoy my content keep giving me your questions and I will do my best to answer them all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back