mollys and guppies in a reef tank

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my female guppy has been in the tank for 2 weeks, but her fins are nipped. I've finally observed the culprit.... a tailspot blenny. The poor guppy can't swim anywhere but under the filter. Blenny has claimed holes in the center of the tank, and the guppy isn't allowed anywhere. So my experiment is over, due to jerk blenny.

I might try a Molly or something different colored in the future, in thinking the aggression is from the similar color.

Attachments

• 20210831_090016.jpg
    20210831_090016.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210831_090314.jpg
    20210831_090314.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my female guppy has been in the tank for 2 weeks, but her fins are nipped. I've finally observed the culprit.... a tailspot blenny. The poor guppy can't swim anywhere but under the filter. Blenny has claimed holes in the center of the tank, and the guppy isn't allowed anywhere. So my experiment is over, due to jerk blenny.

I might try a Molly or something different colored in the future, in thinking the aggression is from the similar color.
Yeah my Clown nips my Molly's tails since the beginning but I they are completely fine. Guppies are smaller therefore they can't protect themselves very good

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had mollies for years in my saltwater tanks. All from the original 2 females and 1 male I had bought. I am also thinking of adding a couple of guppies. My current tankmates have never bothered them much. Thanks for all the information everyone on them.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back