mollys and guppies in a reef tank

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am implying that pregnant mollies or guppies will give birth often immaturely when introduced to new environment or water parameters change rapidly.
Ok your first statement needed clarification in my opinion, so I asked. Mine have been breeding for the past 8 months in the new system lol.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok your first statement needed clarification in my opinion, so I asked. Mine have been breeding for the past 8 months in the new system lol.
he's pretty much been a negative Nancy replying to just about every comment on this topic but has failed to offer any useful/factual information. i've kept mollies in reef systems for many years and my experience has been 180 degree from his comments. they live long productive lives in 35ppt salinity, give birth every 60 days and have shown zero issues other then they prefer lower flow.........might be he comes from the other side of the big pond and things over there work differently.......but i doubt it.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's pretty much been a negative Nancy replying to just about every comment on this topic but has failed to offer any useful/factual information. i've kept mollies in reef systems for many years and my experience has been 180 degree from his comments. they live long productive lives in 35ppt salinity, give birth every 60 days and have shown zero issues other then they prefer lower flow.........might be he comes from the other side of the big pond and things over there work differently.......but i doubt it.
Thank you! Seems like every comment I made in this thread was argued despite having pics to prove they breed like mad. Don't know what the one fella meant by babies needing special food mine just eat algae. I also have just about every colour and morph in my tank they all live fine. I didn't even acclimate mine I lost the first batch I did a drip with so I just dump them right in.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Seems like every comment I made in this thread was argued despite having pics to prove they breed like mad. Don't know what the one fella meant by babies needing special food mine just eat algae. I also have just about every colour and morph in my tank they all live fine. I didn't even acclimate mine I lost the first batch I did a drip with so I just dump them right in.
Mine eat whatever too, including the frozen and flake food.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been negative about everything I only about one thing only and that is I believe mollies and guppies don’t belong to the reef. I know people put them in and some also survived too.
I have commented on responses only where I felt I can add valuable information to the questions and none have been negative.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been negative about everything I only about one thing only and that is I believe mollies and guppies don’t belong to the reef. I know people put them in and some also survived too.
I have commented on responses only where I felt I can add valuable information to the questions and none have been negative.
So other then personal taste, any reason you "feel" they don't belong?

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what the one fella meant by babies needing special food mine just eat algae.
When i had freshwater about 7-8 years ago i fed the baby guppies and mollys with almost powder food.My lfs gave it to me and said they can't eat anything else when they are you young so i got it.Maybe my lfs was wrong i don't know

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get to another topic haha.Did you have mollys in a tank with bubble algae?if yes did they eat it?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right I was referring to guppies
Its funny the range map for guppies says they probably aren't established in Antarctica. But from the looks of it you could do almost any other biotope with them. African australian south american carribean even parts of europe.

Attachments

• T4254-Poecilia reticulate-img-18.png
    T4254-Poecilia reticulate-img-18.png
    506.8 KB · Views: 80

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny the range map for guppies says they probably aren't established in Antarctica. But from the looks of it you could do almost any other biotope with them. African australian south american carribean even parts of europe.
Guppies have been introduced to many waters by humans and doing well in many places as fare as I know.
wiki seems to agree with me too. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guppy

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they meant that if a livebearer is pregnant, than stressing her by converting her to saltwater could cause her to give birth before she's ready. Not that ones already acclimated would give birth prematurely all the time in saltwater. Even introducing a pregnant livebearer to a new freshwater tank can induce a premature birth if I remember correctly.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they meant that if a livebearer is pregnant, than stressing her by converting her to saltwater could cause her to give birth before she's ready. Not that ones already acclimated would give birth prematurely all the time in saltwater. Even introducing a pregnant livebearer to a new freshwater tank can induce a premature birth if I remember correctly.
That is correct stress can cause premature birth. Once converted I doubt that is a problem anymore.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my virgin female to my tank yesterday, this morning at lights on she was very active, pecking on rocks. She's hanging with the clowns :)

I bred these guppies for about a year, the strain is full Moscow guppy, the green variation. I sold all but 6 males and 2 females. One of the females was physically deformed so she and a friend had been separated since sexing age. The 2 females had been happily controlling my neocaridina Shrimp population, but the deformed one passed and left this remaining female. So this thread pops up and now my lone lady is happy hanging with clowns.

Attachments

• 20210815_080318.jpg
    20210815_080318.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210815_080257.jpg
    20210815_080257.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 71

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup guppies are supposed to be one of the most wide spread fish of the world!
"Guppy - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guppy

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trinidad/tobago and northern south america originally now they're on every continent
I’ve grown up in Hungary which has loads of thermal waters. Almos all of them had a population of guppies and mollies and some of them had Malayan halfbeaks to as it’s predator all from the aquarium trade of course.
Just to show of I have had an article published in the 90s about these small ecosystems.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back