OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all! This didn't die. I ordered everything through my awesome lfs in Minneapolis. They're going to help customize a sump and corner overflow for the UNS. Will be able to update in December. That's when I'll be starting the build. Can't wait to show you guys the progress!

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awful picture, but she's here! I'm currently working with my LFS (Shout out to Reef Collective in Minneapolis for the help) to figure out a custom overflow plan and the sump.

Stay tuned for drawings...

7DDA7B37-8D79-4415-B748-8141964C580B.jpeg

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have similar aesthetic tastes, I’m currently gathering equipment for a similar objective on a future build. I am going with an external overflow, specifically Modular Marine in white. I’m going to be doing a white background (but spaced back a few mm so it gives a sense of depth) which will allow it to blend in.
As for lighting, you could get away with a single radion xr30 or hydra 32/64. If you just want low light corals a 32 would be fine. If you don’t want shadows though either 2 32’s or a T5 would probably be best
I'm still trying to rig up an overflow solution I'm happy with...did you ever finish your minimalist design? I'm curious how it turned out!

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Nature Aquarium World books and your inspiration pics in the first post. Looking forward to the results.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to rig up an overflow solution I'm happy with...did you ever finish your minimalist design? I'm curious how it turned out!
No I haven’t, I’m moving soon so the build has been on hold. But my design remains the same, external overflow, dual rfg returns. Not innovative but the best for my application

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow Woes

Now that my beautiful tank and stand have arrived (!!!), I've been spending my days after Christmas drawing and diagramming possible overflow solutions, but I just can't find any I'm happy with. No matter what I try, the overflow is going to be an eyesore. I've tried different orientations - coast-to-coast shadow overflows, fully internal in the corner, center volcano style overflows that could be covered in rock, etc...

Admittedly, I didn't know enough about overflow designs when I hatched this plan, since my current tank is a ten gal AIO. After doing research about dursos and herbies and beanimals, my head is spinning, and it seems even less likely that I will be happy with a drilled set up. For the record, I got into the hobby for the biology, the creatures, the ocean, the beauty, and the chemistry....not plumbing.

Before the comments start...I'm not writing this to be chastised for not "doing my research." I've employed the help of a great LFS partner, but I didn't realize how big the box would have to be for a beananimal (in my head it was going to require one hole for the drain, and one for the return, lol). Sometimes you don't know what you don't know, and being honest about that is important for anyone reading this to learn.

An [unorthodox] solution - canister filtration and lily pipes

After thinking about it for the last few days and doing *a lot* more reading and youtube watching, I've made the tentative decision to move forward with a lily pipe/canister filter set up. Yes, you read that right. I floated this idea really early on and initially decided against it, but I think it's worth considering for a system this size. Shout out to Mikeymikemike for all the inspiration - his tank is dope.

Hear me out:

"But canister filters can't handle the bio load or provide enough flow!"
I'm not running a massive system - it's a 21 gallon tank. Aquarists with nanos have been been successfully running canister filters forever. For this size tank, I can easily buy an oversized canister with enough flow. I would not attempt this on a bigger system.

"But they're nitrate factories and maintenance is crazy!"
Enter, Oase canister filters...Oase canisters have prefilters that that function just like filter floss or socks. You can pull out the pre-filter to clean it without opening the rest of the canister. It's just like doing your mini-maintenance on a sump. Being able to remove the pre-filter does exactly what changing filter floss or cleaning a filter sock does. It removes most of the decaying matter that turn into nitrates in the first place.

"But you won't have a skimmer!"
I was never going to run a skimmer or any super complex gear anyway, relying instead on aqua cultured live rock and a refugium for most of the filtration. I don't run a skimmer on my current 10 gal, so the concept is basically the same anyway. The water runs through the mechanical/chemical filtration trays, through the refugium, and back out again.

"But you said you wanted to run a refugium..."
I have two solutions for this. I can either load up the tank with macros, which is a possibility, OR I can plumb an algae reactor after the canister to take care of the rest of the nitrates and phosphates.

"What about ATO without a sump?"
Instead of a laser eye for the ATO, which wouldn't work in the main tank anyway because of the surface agitation, I will calculate the evaporation rate and use a dosing pump.

"But won't the evaporation rate change over the seasons?"
Sure, somewhat, but it's not something that's too difficult to keep an eye on over time...You can easily keep an eye on it and readjust.

"Where will the heater go?"
Cue the Oase canister again...it has a built in heater. A one and done pump, heater, and filtration machine greatly simplifies the set-up.

I'm sure there will be additional skepticism, but the other thing I like about this option is it keeps my tank versatile. If I decide to switch to fresh water some day, I can because I haven't drilled it. If the canister doesn't work, I can swap out the lily pipes and canister for a mame glass overflow and a sump. Hell, I can tear it down and drill the tank later if that's what I decide. Because I tinker and change my mind a lot, it makes the most sense to me to start here.

Remember...this isn't a 600 gallon system. I can go backwards pretty easily...

The equipment list:

Canister filter:
Oase biomaster thermo

If money were no object, I might consider buying the largest one to take advantage of the flow. I'd like to avoid using power heads, and that would do it. Do you agree?

**I'm considering going with the 850 non-thermo which has a max flow rate of 400 gph...probably cut in half, then adding a smaller 200watt heater to that.**

1640708627562.png

Lily Pipes w/ surface skimmer

1640712763116.png

Eheim Double Tab Quick Release Valves

1640713538224.png

Algae reactor - Tunze MAR 3181

1640713426989.png

Dosing pump for ATO - Kamoer X1 Micro pump

1640713774199.png

In conclusion, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I ask that if you have never used a canister filter with a reef set up before, to refrain from providing negative feedback. If you HAVE used a canister filter + lily pipes on a reef tank before, I welcome all feedback...especially your stories.

xoxo

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a reasonable plan for what you are trying to accomplish. If you don't want plumbing for a sump, don't do the sump. If you want to use a canister filter, go for it. You can always take it offline if you don't like it.

I ran a magnum 350 on my first salt tank in 2005. It was a 90 gallon soft coral and LPS 'reef'. I hated the maintenance on the canister, so I quit running it and just ran powerheads and a hang-on-tank coralife skimmer.

For a 20-ish gallon tank with no sump, I would likely just use the rock, sand, and a couple powerheads. No filter. I might run a sump. An overflow like this only sticks out about an inch in the display and only requires drilling 1 hole: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eclipse-m-overflow-box-800-gph-eshopps.html

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used a small Eheim canister filter on a cool nano reef until 2008.
Kept it clean and used Eheim's biological media.

Seems like the small Siporax media would work too.

Also did about a 20% weekly water change, but let your test kits guide your way.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great start to the build! Looking forward to seeing it play out.

On a side note, I had the same issue you have with an overflow design. So, I went off the deep end with a false bottom and overly complex design (see my build thread).

54C8B491-22A0-424D-B63F-1DFEC36E9FEF.jpeg

133D8D27-56A2-453F-BA9C-52203390BD8E.jpeg

Moral of the story: you’ll find something you like eventually, though it may take some out-of-the-box thinking…

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On a side note, I had the same issue you have with an overflow design. So, I went off the deep end with a false bottom and overly complex design (see my build thread).

Moral of the story: you’ll find something you like eventually, though it may take some out-of-the-box thinking…
This is something I considered...I'm guessing it's not possible to have sand? I also thought about doing a "double closed loop" using a canister filter as one and an external return pump as the other, using lily pipes for flow. But then the number of lily pipes on the outside of the tank starts to get ridiculous and the maintenance doubles. Plus I don't think lily pipes can handle a ton of flow.

Is your tank up and running? I'm curious about how the false bottoms are working...

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh wow. I just "leafed" through your build thread. I'm super impressed that you got all of this to work. I have some experience with automation and ardunio, but not enough to actually have fun doing that lol.

I'm stuck between the KISS method and completely over-engineered. I want the tank to look like it runs on magic...

The simplicity of creating a macro tank with mangroves that runs completely sump-less is appealing, as is the notion of running an extremely high tech system to account for every constraint I've put on myself.

I think I'm ok moving forward with the lily pipes and canister filter. The beauty is that if I go hard on the macros, I can take it offline and try the simple set up. Hell, I can even transition it to a FW planted tank someday if I do choose.

Perhaps the next constraint is to hide all equipment without drilling the tank...

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefs but lots of experience with freshwater. Do yourself a big favor and buy stainless steel lily pipes not the glass ones. Completely changed maintenance and makes everything look good. Those glass pipes look pretty in pictures and for about 3 days after cleaning. Then they look ok for a few days, then terrible until you clean them again.

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefs but lots of experience with freshwater. Do yourself a big favor and buy stainless steel lily pipes not the glass ones. Completely changed maintenance and makes everything look good. Those glass pipes look pretty in pictures and for about 3 days after cleaning. Then they look ok for a few days, then terrible until you clean them again.
Unfortunately the metal pipes won't work with saltwater because they will corrode, which is both problematic for the tank and the pipes.

My plan is to get like 4-5 sets of lily pipes, so I can change them out (with their hoses) and soak them in H2O2. Rinse. Repeat. I know I'm signing up for a higher maintenance set-up with this...

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a reasonable plan for what you are trying to accomplish. If you don't want plumbing for a sump, don't do the sump. If you want to use a canister filter, go for it. You can always take it offline if you don't like it.

I ran a magnum 350 on my first salt tank in 2005. It was a 90 gallon soft coral and LPS 'reef'. I hated the maintenance on the canister, so I quit running it and just ran powerheads and a hang-on-tank coralife skimmer.

For a 20-ish gallon tank with no sump, I would likely just use the rock, sand, and a couple powerheads. No filter. I might run a sump. An overflow like this only sticks out about an inch in the display and only requires drilling 1 hole: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eclipse-m-overflow-box-800-gph-eshopps.html
Have you ever seen anyone successfully hide an overflow box like that? I want this to look like a box of water running on magic...

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen anyone successfully hide an overflow box like that? I want this to look like a box of water running on magic...
Hidden? No. You will see it, as it will stick into your aquarium an inch or so. You could stick it on the side and barely notice it. Or you could put it on the back wall, with a black background, keeping it scrubbed free of algae, so you'd barely notice it.

If you want no visible plumbing or powerheads in the display, you really are limited.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monica,
Did you choose the ATI t5 unit for your lights?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back