Monitoring Oxygen - How many of you do it.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had an incident recently. I run a custom anaerobic digester that gets dosed sugar and controls my nitrates/phosphates/sulfates. The dosing pump failed and overdosed the system. I noticed the tank getting foggy from a bacterial bloom and did some testing. The fish were obviously stressed. After testing I found the oxygen level bottomed out. I added a lot of carbon bags and a couple of pumps to aerate the system and everything recovered fairly quickly except I did lose 1 fish.

Does anyone here use an oxygen monitor? I have a pinpoint that I use occasionally but only to solve problems. The Neptune system, while impressive, is way overpriced IMHO. I might spend the money on it in the future but after reefing for 25+ years without something like that it makes me wonder if it's worth it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use the apex PM3 plus O2 probe. Mostly useless frankly, and certainly not worth the price. It's hard to keep the probe in calibration. Most annoyingly, Neptune don't sell the electrolyte separately and the one small bottle in the membrane replacement kit is enough for one, maybe two, replacements. they were completely unhelpful when I inquired. Waste of time and a hard pass!

OP
OP
FBAA

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thank you. For my situation I may need to monitor because I am dosing anaerobics.

reefeer14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the seneye reef monitor. not cheap but not crazy expensive either. measures:

oxygen
ph
temp
water level
ammonia
par

i have it plugged into my computer which is near my tank so I can check readings using my smartphone.

nifty little device. only downside is that you need to replace a slide in the unit every month. slides cost about $11 but you can find them on amazon.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the seneye reef monitor. not cheap but not crazy expensive either. measures:

oxygen
ph
temp
water level
ammonia
par

i have it plugged into my computer which is near my tank so I can check readings using my smartphone.

nifty little device. only downside is that you need to replace a slide in the unit every month. slides cost about $11 but you can find them on amazon.

Worth noting the Seneye “oxygen” reading is entirely hypothetical and a calculation based on other observed parameters of the unit vs literal dissolved oxygen probe… Very debatable if Seneyes “oxygen” reading is even worthy for anything.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your DIY game? Atlas scientific has some nice probes.

I DO not have this probe, but I do run their temperature and PH probes which I hooked up to a raspberry pi via the tentacle . No soldering required, however it did require me to change the ezo circuit modes.

I have debated their salinity and Dissolved oxygen probes but I just end up spending my money on corals instead.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back