Monkeyboy's DIY 600 DT in wall build.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I figured I would finally start a thread, even if it does border on the completely ridiculous.

How ridiculous you ask? Well, let's just say I am building a tank for my new house...when I havent even sold the old one yet!

Call it commitment... or commitable.

So here is the plan.. 8'x4' x 30" tall 1 inch thick acrylic. Total DT volume is around 600g. Going to have another 200 in fuges, dumps, and frag tanks.

And true to my ever dying, why would I pay someone to do it when I can just do it myself attitude.. I will be constructing this all with my own two hands and maybe a foot here or there.

At this time I am building the tank. I am also in the middle of cementing the aquascape together so I can get it curing and maturing while I wait to sell house.

The grand to do list includes...
1. Tearing out carpet and subflooring in fish room.
2. Pouring additional footings and floor joists.
3. Replace subflooring and I stall wall to wall pond liner.
4. Install propane backup generator and run all new circuits.
5. Cut wall out and install load bearing header.
6. Install tank and frame out wall.
7. Inspect my head for gaping holes.
8. Plumbing, lighting, etc. etc.

Wouldnt be a build thread without some pictures. First one is my "tank" 1" plexiglass G sheets finally cut and routed.
And I fabricated my top sheet with 3 openings. That sheet is 4x8.

Oh, and I cranked out a tank for a friend out of my "scraps" 6' lagoon, 1" rimless, 17" tall

20191227_134856.jpg 20191227_134846.jpg 20191227_131316.jpg

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laird plastics is where I got the acrylic from. James from envision acrylics is about an hour from me so I bought some custom made solvent from him.

The front two panels are plex G but the sides and bottoms are plexiglas MG..I think, everyone calls it "mex plex" same formula as plex G but it is open cast so it could have a fly or something entombed in it but it is half the cost.

Here is the 4x2 frag tank I made this weekend for the system.

20191230_221057.jpg

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, spent my new years day routing all the acrylic sheets. There are three kitchen garbage bags full of shavings!

I will say this... 1" acrylic is VERY tricky to work with. After trying to route it on the table with a fence I finally had to clamp a straight edge to the sheet to get it done correctly.

Hopefully gluing up this weekend!

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing, can’t wait to see more! DIY for the win! From what I can see the lagoon and frag tank look MINT.

Acrylics is a skill set I would like to add to my bag of tricks. So handy to have in the reef life.

Good thinking on the propane backup generator. “Be ready”!

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been working on the existing house to get it sold, and also had the flu which absolutely floored me for a week.

Managed to zip tie and cement a good deal of live rock together and mock up a scape. I wanted to adhere the rocks together then get them cycling so they will be primed and ready to go.

The table they are on is the footprint of the new tank. The height of the new tank can be seen by the panel leaning against the wall.

20200116_222039.jpg 20200116_222036.jpg 20200116_222018.jpg 20200116_222029.jpg

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its big for sure but the weight is what is really what is becoming an issue rather quickly.

Thanks for the comment!! I was going to post that I cut my fingers off on the table saw to get some comments. LOL

I promise when I move into the new house the thread will be much more interesting and involved.

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been enjoying! I would really like to learn how to build something like this.

I built a 300g epoxy & plywood sump/frag tank, but this is next level. If I ever move again I would like to do a big peninsula style build about this size.

What’s the plan to deal with the weight? Also don’t you have to move rather quickly with the acrylic bonding?

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily the weight wont be tooo huge of an issue as you are basically rolling and flipping the aquarium onto new pieces. During bonding, the weight can be an issue as the pins are REALLY tight and if you wait too long then you can't pull them out. I actually snapped a wire during the last panel and I had to scramble and get a pair of plyers to get it out before it set up.

You do have to work quickly with the bonding, but as the thickness of the material increases, you do have a little more leeway as it takes longer to evaporate because there is soo much solvent in the joint. For the top and bottom sheets it will take two people. One at each corner moving in the same direction applying solvent. When you get to the opposite corner you start pulling pins out (where the other person started). As long as you are under 90 seconds or so you are going to be safe.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HUGE DAY TODAY!!

We got a full asking price offer on our existing house and we scheduled closing on the new house... where the 600 is going!!

Plus, my buddy came over and we wrestled the tank onto the bottom sheet and welded it.

People always complain about acrylic...but look how clear that sheet is!! Its hard to even see it in the pictures!

20200203_221441.jpg 20200203_221436.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really impressive. You are braver than I - I bought my large acrylic tank. Would you be willing to explain your welding process. Was not aware that pins were necessary. Is that just so that you can align the panels perfectly?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Around 550lbs is what I calculated. The 1" acrylic weighs 7.6 lbs a square foot.
My 660g with the full overflow was just under 1300 pounds. This has to be at least 800 with 1" thick acrylic

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back