Monkeyboy's DIY 600 DT in wall build.

fredk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brave.. or stupid LOL. Honestly up to this point I have successfully done everything before, just not to the scale if this tank. I have wondered about doing a water test on the tank but I keep telling myself.. the seams are perfect, i used high quality solvent (not weld on) and the design is solid so.. should be good to go.
Brave/stupid. Its a fine line. I cross over occasionally. :)

Having grown up on a farm I am no stranger to DIY, but big tanks are a special beast.

Maybe you should video the tank filling. Who knows, it could be spectacular. :p

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. There is an outside chance I could have a massive seam failure and send 600 gallons of water onto the carpet. for giggles I did a calc.. my entire living room would be under 3" of water. Maybe I should put a drain under the sofa?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. There is an outside chance I could have a massive seam failure and send 600 gallons of water onto the carpet. for giggles I did a calc.. my entire living room would be under 3" of water. Maybe I should put a drain under the sofa?
I feel like this is a great time to say... YOLO!

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What solvent do you use? I’m building a 600 as well.

you need to mix your own solvent. there is a night and day difference between store bought weld on and the stuff you mix yourself. It is somewhat of a carefully guarded secret but I discovered the formula online and was able to buy some directly from a semi-local builder who has an EXCELLENT reputation. It is made from LAB GRADE acetic acid and dichlormethane. You can purchase dichlormethane but the law requires that you sign something stating the use and it can NOT be shipped to a residential address. The acetic acid slows the reaction down a tad bit. I believe is around 5%? I can find out the exact concentrations if you are serious about it.

I can not stress how much better this stuff is. It dispenses sooo smoothly and it REALLY attacks the acrylic. Don't be a J#$k *** with this stuff, it is one carbon molecule away from chloroform, you need a organic vapor mask when working with it.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kool Aid!! Oh yeah!! Crash!

20200418_142030.jpg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I've built small acrylic tanks but have only dreamed of building something like that! Next on my gradient-of-increasingly-difficult-acrylic builds just might be a sump. It will only be 1/4" material but the actual size will be much bigger than what I've done before. I believe I would be ok without pins, but the shims might be essential. @pdxmonkeyboy Thoughts?

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to mix your own solvent. there is a night and day difference between store bought weld on and the stuff you mix yourself. It is somewhat of a carefully guarded secret but I discovered the formula online and was able to buy some directly from a semi-local builder who has an EXCELLENT reputation. It is made from LAB GRADE acetic acid and dichlormethane. You can purchase dichlormethane but the law requires that you sign something stating the use and it can NOT be shipped to a residential address. The acetic acid slows the reaction down a tad bit. I believe is around 5%? I can find out the exact concentrations if you are serious about it.

I can not stress how much better this stuff is. It dispenses sooo smoothly and it REALLY attacks the acrylic. Don't be a J#$k *** with this stuff, it is one carbon molecule away from chloroform, you need a organic vapor mask when working with it.
Found an acrylic fabrication guy out here who was able to hook me up with the solvent he uses. He’s actually helping me out a bit in trade for help (discount) on his new pickup truck lol

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahaha prob never happen, since you did it yourself. It took me a few months to get over the what if stuff. You wont even think about the seams once you get stuff in the tank.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I've built small acrylic tanks but have only dreamed of building something like that! Next on my gradient-of-increasingly-difficult-acrylic builds just might be a sump. It will only be 1/4" material but the actual size will be much bigger than what I've done before. I believe I would be ok without pins, but the shims might be essential. @pdxmonkeyboy Thoughts?

I would go 3/8 for sure. The difference in price is negligible and it is much easier to work with. Probably don't need pins, or shims for that matter. Just take pains to ensure your edges are square and smooth and things will go off without a hitch.

In terms of progress, I had a guy bail on me today..was going to help my lift the header into place. So that, and moving the pipes is on hold until this weekend.

I also have to get my back up generator ordered, my breaker panel is absolutely maxed out so I will need to use the backup generator panel to run the circuits for the tank.

So much work when you move into a new house...and the wife just bought chickens..lol. but I DID get the hot tub hooked up today. That is one trip into the crawl space that will pay dividends.

Thanks for stopping by everyone!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back