Monster eat my sexy shrimp, with pictures.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the rather sensational headline. The incident that I captured with my camera is that of my Ricordea Florida eating one of my Thor Amboinensis alive.

Now I know we hear many stories of corals and shrimp purportedly eating one another and the usual comments that "it was probably already dead"

However as my tanks are situated next to my office desk, I was able to observe the incident as it progressed. This particular incident took place in my Pico Reef Tank (19 Litre, crustacean and mushrooms) I casually observed one of my female Thor Shrimp, climb up onto my Ricordea Yuma to feed of the mucus and food particles. Nothing unusual there, I have observed my shrimp do this many times with no ill effect to either the anemone or the shrimp.

A minute or two later, when I glanced back at the tank I noticed some strange movement from the shrimp. It seemed to be struggling and the Ric was starting to close around it. Like most reefers I become attached to my little animals and my first instinct was to try and remove the little fella from the devouring mushroom.

After a short while of contemplating how I could release the shrimp without damaging the Ric, I concluded that the shrimp was by now, too far gone. It had stopped moving and the Ric seemed to have a good hold. My next instinct was to observe this seemingly natural behaviour.

Luckily I had my camera handy so I set up my tripod and attempted to record the incident. I have included the photos below.

Ricordea v Thor stage one, capture and stun.

RICORDEA V THOR.jpg

Ric v Thor Stage 2 Mucus

RICORDEA V THOR 2.jpg

Ric v Thor Devour

RICORDEA V THOR 3.jpg

One happy Ricordea Florida
ROCORDEA NO THOR.jpg

I have been observing my little Thor group for over 4 months now and have never had a problem with them being eaten by my corals.

I would be very interested to hear of any fellow reefers who have observed any similar occurrence involving Thor Amboinensis and mushroom anemone.

RIP little Fella.

ReeferJen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saved one of mine from being devoured by my Duncan. They have been hosting on the Duncan stalk, but one looked like it was stuck in the Duncan's tentacles, and the Duncan started to close. I reached in the tank and brushed it free of the Duncan, so safe for now.

dfran97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I happened upon this thread, was feeding my tank when I noticed a piece of krill had landed on my Godzilla Yuma. Thinking one of the hermits or even the serpent star would come to grab it. However, I watched in disbelief as the mouth on the mushroom began to open and I watched it consume the piece of krill

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back