OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the light hung today! Looks pretty sharp :) Now to decide on which ATI bulbs to use for this build

FTS11-10-18.jpg

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I am hanging a mix of my LEDs and T5 fixture and renting a par meeter from BRS to see how it works... If you have pics of how you hang please post...

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a bit since the last update. I moved over all of the corals, six line, and clownfish from the old nano tank a week or so ago. Also picked up a yellow tang this weekend.

FTS-12-2-18.jpg

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been a while since the last update. A few frags have been added here and there, but nothing too crazy. I've got some cash set aside for corals come spring when the shipping weather is nicer. Anyway, I took the opportunity to FINALLY do some cable management. No excuse for leaving the cord octopus like this for so long. Funny how a piece of scrap wood and some velcro strips can clean things up so much.

Before

IMG_0645.JPG

After

IMG_0648.JPG

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not a whole lot new in the tank. A few frags here and there with a melanurus wrasse added. I have quite a few more frags in the coral QT tank that will go in the main display in a month or two. The Apex and DOS have been awesome! I've switched over from kalkwasser to Tropic Marin All-For-Reef and am using the other dosing head for AcroPower. Recently I've been struggling with a birdsnest (go figure, one of the easiest corals to take care of) and have come up with a few issues that I've needed to solve. One being zero phosphates. By upping the feeding I'm hovering around 0.02-0.04 ppm phosphates in the recent days. Pretty happy with that. Second is the light. I took home a PAR meter just for kicks and giggles this weekend. I was surprised that the par was in the 80-120 range! Luckily the T5 fixture is dimmable, so I found a sweet spot at 60% intensity. Here is the PAR map that I created for the tank. I HIGHLY recommend renting or owning a PAR meter and wish I would have done it sooner!

75 gallon PAR @ 60%.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not a whole lot new in the tank. A few frags here and there with a melanurus wrasse added. I have quite a few more frags in the coral QT tank that will go in the main display in a month or two. The Apex and DOS have been awesome! I've switched over from kalkwasser to Tropic Marin All-For-Reef and am using the other dosing head for AcroPower. Recently I've been struggling with a birdsnest (go figure, one of the easiest corals to take care of) and have come up with a few issues that I've needed to solve. One being zero phosphates. By upping the feeding I'm hovering around 0.02-0.04 ppm phosphates in the recent days. Pretty happy with that. Second is the light. I took home a PAR meter just for kicks and giggles this weekend. I was surprised that the par was in the 80-120 range! Luckily the T5 fixture is dimmable, so I found a sweet spot at 60% intensity. Here is the PAR map that I created for the tank. I HIGHLY recommend renting or owning a PAR meter and wish I would have done it sooner!

75 gallon PAR @ 60%.jpg

Looking good...thanks for the update.

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-5-10_19-25-5.png

Just got the results back from my ICP test. Nothing terribly alarming other than my salinity at 38 ppt...makes me wonder about the accuracy of my current gear and/or the ICP test. Hmmm.....

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've posted. A few changes with the tank, but nothing too major.

Changes:
  • Apex Installed w/ two EB832
  • Switched back to kalkwasser. The All-For-Reef was great, but costly. Had to go back to the drawing board and Kalk will give me some time to make plans. Who knows, I may stick with kalk long term.
  • Moved some corals around. Lost a birdsnest, but man have the original corals grown. The Duncan alone looks much bigger and fuller
  • Added a monti cap, another sinularia, a couple of no name encrusting SPS, trumpet, stylo, montipora cofusa, assorted zoas, and hollywood stunner.
  • The anemone split!
  • Both MP10s now on one end to give the tank more of a gyre flow pattern
  • Added fish! Now stocked with a diamond goby, yellow tang, convict tang, melanurus wrasse, and clown. No further additions planned as of now.
Challenges:
  • I had a real issue with dinos a few months back. Zero nitrates and zero phosphates seem to have spurred the outbreak. Luckily, with some sand siphoning and slight over feeding, I was able to get phosphates to about 0.03-0.05ppm and the dinos slowly dissipated. The Real Reef rock seems to have turned brown with age. Hopefully I can get some coralline coverage on the rock at some point. The overflow is good at growing it at least!
  • Fiji Pink sand was a mistake. The left side of the tank has slowly been switched out with special grade. With the larger grain size, I expect fewer sandstorms from the MP10s.
Plan for the future:
  • Let the corals grow out. The goal for this tank is to have fewer, but nicer and larger colonies instead of a bunch of little crowded frags. I think that in 6-12 months time, the montis in this tank (red monti and confusa in particular) will really fill in some space and become show pieces. The Duncan coral in particular has really become a nice piece. Not rare by any means, but I enjoy corals that add movement to the tank. The only other additions planned are a torch coral or two. I'm a sucker for euphyllia! :p

Here is my current FTS as of yesterday (no filter, iPhone X). Don't roast me too hard, it's due for some glass/overflow cleaning ;) Anyway, thanks for reading!

FTS-8-9-19.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've posted. A few changes with the tank, but nothing too major.

Changes:
  • Apex Installed w/ two EB832
  • Switched back to kalkwasser. The All-For-Reef was great, but costly. Had to go back to the drawing board and Kalk will give me some time to make plans. Who knows, I may stick with kalk long term.
  • Moved some corals around. Lost a birdsnest, but man have the original corals grown. The Duncan alone looks much bigger and fuller
  • Added a monti cap, another sinularia, a couple of no name encrusting SPS, trumpet, stylo, montipora cofusa, assorted zoas, and hollywood stunner.
  • The anemone split!
  • Both MP10s now on one end to give the tank more of a gyre flow pattern
  • Added fish! Now stocked with a diamond goby, yellow tang, convict tang, melanurus wrasse, and clown. No further additions planned as of now.
Challenges:
  • I had a real issue with dinos a few months back. Zero nitrates and zero phosphates seem to have spurred the outbreak. Luckily, with some sand siphoning and slight over feeding, I was able to get phosphates to about 0.03-0.05ppm and the dinos slowly dissipated. The Real Reef rock seems to have turned brown with age. Hopefully I can get some coralline coverage on the rock at some point. The overflow is good at growing it at least!
  • Fiji Pink sand was a mistake. The left side of the tank has slowly been switched out with special grade. With the larger grain size, I expect fewer sandstorms from the MP10s.
Plan for the future:
  • Let the corals grow out. The goal for this tank is to have fewer, but nicer and larger colonies instead of a bunch of little crowded frags. I think that in 6-12 months time, the montis in this tank (red monti and confusa in particular) will really fill in some space and become show pieces. The Duncan coral in particular has really become a nice piece. Not rare by any means, but I enjoy corals that add movement to the tank. The only other additions planned are a torch coral or two. I'm a sucker for euphyllia! :p

Here is my current FTS as of yesterday (no filter, iPhone X). Don't roast me too hard, it's due for some glass/overflow cleaning ;) Anyway, thanks for reading!

FTS-8-9-19.jpg
Nice looking tank. I like your scape.

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my never ending goal to clean up my equipment/wire management, this is what I'm leaning towards. The grey areas are slotted cable raceways. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Everything here should be to scale. For me, this is the most frustrating part of the hobby!

P.S. I don't actually have 3 FMM modules...I have 1 FMM, but want to have the space for 2 additional modules if/when I need them :p

ControlBoard.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 148 60.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.0%
Back