View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current FTS (3/14/21):

1615949822968.png

-------------------------------------------------

The Beginning...

This is my first build thread here at R2R, but figured it would be a good place to document my progress. I've just finished up the stand and am starting to aquascape the tank. The goal is going to be a mixed reef, but with a focus on euphyllia and goniopora...who knows if that plan will stick (spoiler alert: not really...lol)

IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0344.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got the aquascape where I want it. This is the most fun part of a new tank for me. Next up is the plumbing! I picked up a Trigger Crystal 30 sump. I'll be using an old Skimz SN123 that I had laying around. I'm considering upgrading to a Reef Octopus SRO 1000 once I've got some bioload in the tank. Other equipment in the contingency plan include a BRS mini reactor for carbon, and Eheim return pump. I'll likely be ditching the MarinePure due to space constraints and go with a refugium with lighting from a Kessil H80.

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your stand. It's well built, the weight transfers directly to the ground, not to screws/fasteners like some I've seen. Nice job.

Pretty jealous of that workspace, would love to get a TV in my garage!

Thanks! It was my first time using pocket screws and I'm pretty happy with it. I've watched a lot of playoff baseball out there while building it and a few adult beverages may have been enjoyed as well haha

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update. I had a random day off today and decided to cut the plumbing and dry fit everything. Of course I forgot a couple pieces, because you know...that's how plumbing jobs work. I'm going to install a couple of unions on the vertical pipes for the drain and return. I'm also planning to swap the ugly off white/ tan PVC for regular white PVC before I glue everything up. I've got a white and black color scheme that I'm going for at this point haha. I'm super excited to keep this build simple with only 1 pump running for the return and BRS mini reactor. I found a 1" slip x 1" slip x 1/2" female thread fitting at Lowe's that will make connecting the reactor to the main return plumbing really simple.

IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0379.JPG

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more minor work done today. I was 50/50 on if the 1/4" ply on the bottom was going to bow when the sump was full of water, so I decided to take it out and add a few supports where the ends of the sump would sit. Plus, I picked up a used Trigger Crystal ATO reservoir. I went with the 5 gallon size due to the perfect fit, I'm really hoping that it'll last a week before I have to refill or I might have to look at a different option. It's been a pretty budget friendly build so far. I think I have less than $200 into it buying almost everything second hand or by using equipment that I had laying around like the skimmer, reactor, and return pump. I've got some bigger items like lighting to purchase still, but who said reefing had to be expensive? ;)

IMG_0382.JPG IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is officially all glued in place. Going to wait for it to cure and then the crucial water test. Probably going to wait until the weekend just in case it leaks. I think the white and black color scheme looks pretty sharp. The difficult part will be keeping it clean lol

IMG_0398.JPG

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to hearing about your test as you are about 2 weeks ahead of me on that. What pump is driving your reactor? What return pump are you using...?

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to hearing about your test as you are about 2 weeks ahead of me on that. What pump is driving your reactor? What return pump are you using...?

The reactor is plumbed into the return line so they both use one pump. In this case, it’s an Eheim Compact+ 3000. I’ll be honest, the only reason I’m using it is because it was free. I typically use Sicce pumps on my builds, so I may upgrade soon. This particular pump is a bit small at about 800 GPH. Once you account for the head pressure and loss of flow through the reactor, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up with about 350-400 GPH to the return. On the low end, that’ll put me around 4.5ish times turnover. I’ve never gone crazy trying to chase that 7-10x turnover number anyway. We’ll see how it goes during the leak test

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactor is plumbed into the return line so they both use one pump. In this case, it’s an Eheim Compact+ 3000. I’ll be honest, the only reason I’m using it is because it was free. I typically use Sicce pumps on my builds, so I may upgrade soon. This particular pump is a bit small at about 800 GPH. Once you account for the head pressure and loss of flow through the reactor, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up with about 350-400 GPH to the return. On the low end, that’ll put me around 4.5ish times turnover. I’ve never gone crazy trying to chase that 7-10x turnover number anyway. We’ll see how it goes during the leak test

Understand and make sense. I ask as I have a 'free' pump as well going about 2400gph on the 90 DT I am currently building but with 2 reactors, uv, and two different return paths I will get less... What are you going to use the reactor for? I have the brs dual and think I will do carbon and gfo once I get going...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back