Month old tank, no nitate, no nitrite?

Cole063015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new heare , new 75g tank 20lb live sand 20lb dry sand, 40lb dry rock, 10lb live seeded rock from lfs, all 75g supposedly ocean water from petco, the box kind. Two clowns, two goby, bonded pair, test every week for everything 0's across the board everytime. Slight diatombloom across substrate but still no measurable anything. So my question is did it cycle, or does not need to since the water i used???? I have done 5 g water changes every week and use a rodi system. I fell like something is not right???

tc3driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what tests you are using... It sounds like you did a fish in cycle?

Also Nitrite not really super important unless you are in the 100s of parts per million.

My first guess (especially with nitrate, and assuming you are using API test kits) is that the instructions aren't being followed. That API nitrate test doesn't work unless you are following the instructions to an absolute 'T'.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the seeded rock you should be seeing nitrate. Especially with 4 fish already. What tests? I would take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are cycled or all that won't make 48 hours. Welcome to skip cycling.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten pounds of live rock in a high flow area will run twice your bioload. Added to our tenth page of skip cycle examples :)

B

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People make fun of me for grandstanding skip cycles but how else are we going to permanently etch it into written accepted reef procedure for buyers, we do it by repetition using live examples. Over and over until I'm geriatric. It's important.

This reefer can now instantly move to disease preps consideration, and away from cycling.

My apologies bottle bac sellers: we won't be buying your reinforcements here today free science arrived first.

So, velvet

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People make fun of me for grandstanding skip cycles but how else are we going to permanently etch it into written accepted reef procedure for buyers, we do it by repetition using live examples. Over and over until I'm geriatric. It's important.

This reefer can now instantly move to disease preps consideration, and away from cycling.

My apologies bottle bac sellers: we won't be buying your reinforcements here today free science arrived first.

So, velvet
I think you should dedicate your search to reef safe GSP killers.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
briareum? It peels right off man heh

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new heare , new 75g tank 20lb live sand 20lb dry sand, 40lb dry rock, 10lb live seeded rock from lfs, all 75g supposedly ocean water from petco, the box kind. Two clowns, two goby, bonded pair, test every week for everything 0's across the board everytime. Slight diatombloom across substrate but still no measurable anything. So my question is did it cycle, or does not need to since the water i used???? I have done 5 g water changes every week and use a rodi system. I fell like something is not right???
Hi there.

From what I can see, it may not be too surprising. While you'd eventually want the rest of your dry rock to be established with nitrifying microbes, there is a large chance that the 10lb of live seeded rock is handling all the ammonia and nitrite produced by your four fish already, given their bioload is not *too* much.

Only curiosity is nitrate. Are there algae growing anywhere? Any corals or anything else that might be uptaking nitrates? Or any methods of nitrate removal at the moment? I mean the sand might be allowing for significant anaerobic denitrification, but somehow I kinda doubt it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about cryo freeze it with an inverted air can (outside tank)

im sorry for the ants I did this to in 1993 i was a dumb kid. In 1983 it was elmers glue dots all over the driveway.

OP
OP
Cole063015

Cole063015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

From what I can see, it may not be too surprising. While you'd eventually want the rest of your dry rock to be established with nitrifying microbes, there is a large chance that the 10lb of live seeded rock is handling all the ammonia and nitrite produced by your four fish already, given their bioload is not *too* much.

Only curiosity is nitrate. Are there algae growing anywhere? Any corals or anything else that might be uptaking nitrates? Or any methods of nitrate removal at the moment? I mean the sand might be allowing for significant anaerobic denitrification, but somehow I kinda doubt it.
The only algae is on the original live rock, I did use quick start nitpicking stuff, also running a fluval 407, with bio balls , carbon. Also two 1k gph powerheads turned to 50% power 6s pulse. I tested again yesterday still nothing. Ph did go down a bit

OP
OP
Cole063015

Cole063015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16227606326571955561049364008948.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back