Monti cap edges browning

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple cap frag that has been doing great. It was showing nice growth. A couple weeks ago I notice a little brown spot on the edge. It has slowly progresses around the edge. I thought it was algae. You can see the growth ring. Any ideas?
a693581c-416a-1d5e.jpg

Part of me is salty...,

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your alk stable? sometimes alk swings can cause tissue die in spsand then it could start to look like that. could be STN. Id frag off the brown part just to be safe. also may want to check for monti nudis

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent tested yet. I do 25% water changes every 3-5 days w natural sea water. I think I did discover nudis last night. Been kinda watching them. Finally looked it up. Luckily my caps are all drags still. Too them out and cleaned and dipped in coralRx. Would nudis do that? Will see. Thanks.

Part of me is salty...,

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear of your issues. I wish there was something I could tell you but you seem to be doing everything that I would recommend. Good luck

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah that could be from nudis, though it looks like its a light issue to me. The color is really light in the middle of the coral, and the outside looks like it got burnt either from too much light or an alk spike. But if you found nudis, thats your most likely culprit. Time to setup a QT tank :)

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are Ecoxotic panorama pros. That have been under them for 1.5-2 months. That's where all the growth that is now turning brown came from. I think it's an Idaho grape cap. It looks a lot lighter than the purple cap I have 3" away from it. (which might be the same) Could also be a bad pic w my iPhone. Heres another pic. Thanks for the help.
425b47e6-c7d9-affb.jpg

Part of me is salty...,

707 Reefer

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but i really like your purple and red monti, did you glue two frags together for them to grow out like that?

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but i really like your purple and red monti, did you glue two frags together for them to grow out like that?

I wish I had the skills and colonies to do that. I picked it up that way. I saw a couple grown out colonies. They looked pretty nice. One was a green and purple.

...Layered in salt....

uriah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just try to frag it behind the dead part, dip it and see if it keeps receding. I would also avoid messing with it too much or that could make things worse.

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm keeping an eye on it. That's probably what I'll have to do.

Part of me is salty...,

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are Ecoxotic panorama pros. That have been under them for 1.5-2 months. That's where all the growth that is now turning brown came from. I think it's an Idaho grape cap. It looks a lot lighter than the purple cap I have 3" away from it. (which might be the same) Could also be a bad pic w my iPhone. Heres another pic. Thanks for the help.
425b47e6-c7d9-affb.jpg

Part of me is salty...,

Very nice looking corals. By the way, what is that pinkish, yellow coral towards the bottom left?

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's a sun coral. Closed up. That pic was taken during a water change. This is it open.

465fbf97-9cad-891a.jpg

Part of me is salty...,

DrTerro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others that the browning and edge is with your alk. However to me the color shift is the lighting. LED's are still so new and so powerful. And each coral reacts differently to lighting. I would trim the egde and lower it and possibly shade it to see if it starts getting its color back. I say no to dipping right now since it's so bleached. It might stress it to much. Also check your phospates, looks like a red and brown algea on the rocks, sand and frag rack. Good luck

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 25% water change with fresh seawater every 3-5 days. Do you think I need to start dosing? I guess I better break out the testing kits.

Part of me is salty...,

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back