Monti Cap Turned White First Night in Tank

Matt Seiter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I’m sure this is a beginner question and please excuse my ignorance.
I have been keeping zoas, Xenia, a pipe organ and one hammer for a while now and wanted to try something new.
So I picked up a Montipora Capricornis. My first SPS.
The first night I brought it home I dipped it in CoralRX and Introduced it to my tank. When I put it in, the coral was a pretty orange color with a pink trim around the edge. Coral was put into the tank at 11pm under moon lights. At 12am the lights cut off. The next morning the moon lights came back on at 8:00am and the coral was covered in what looked like oozing slime. Today at 7pm the slime was still present so I used a pipette to push the slime away from the coral. Once I got it cleaned off, the coral underneath is white and only has a few small areas of color. Attached a couple pictures for reference. Moon lights are back on so sorry for the bad imagery. Is it dead? Will it recover its color? Is this normal?

0F1F31F7-4D6E-4346-88EB-AA8548A044A2.jpeg 4A067696-780C-4A3B-BA5F-287125D37891.jpeg 2C5C229C-3B15-4884-A11E-9F39B6CF4034.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to see what’s going on, can you take pics under white lights? Is it next to the hammer on the frag rack? Why is your photo period 16 hours? What are your params?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 hours is very long to have lights on .

typically ... sps will slime over when they’re stressed. .
Any change in parameters .

how old is the tank ?
Have you tested ?
what are your parameters ?

OP
OP
Matt Seiter

Matt Seiter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It transitions during the day. Just gave light times for when I was around to check it.

full lights for 8 hours a day with ramp up/down of sunrise and moon lights. It is next to a zoa colony of candy apple greens on the frag rack.

can’t test my parameters right now but I was at my LFS 2 weeks ago and water was stated to have been “perfect”.
been running about 3 months. Started with a used tank so it cycled quick due to bacteria being present in back of tank.
I can take more pics tomorrow.
Thank you for any insight.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It transitions during the day. Just gave light times for when I was around to check it.

full lights for 8 hours a day with ramp up/down of sunrise and moon lights. It is next to a zoa colony of candy apple greens on the frag rack.

can’t test my parameters right now but I was at my LFS 2 weeks ago and water was stated to have been “perfect”.
been running about 3 months. Started with a used tank so it cycled quick due to bacteria being present in back of tank.
I can take more pics tomorrow.
Thank you for any insight.
Do yourself a solid favour .
Pick up a few test kits which are reasonably cheap considering the investment of this hobby.

Testing yourself will 1) give you the exact numbers and values and not “perfect”

a few test kits worth looking into
Salifert makes decent test kits . And easy to use
Alk , cal nitrates would be the first 3
Along with a refractometer for measuring salinity .

Ph isn’t as important but it’s nice to know how. Much it fluctuates from day to night

Ammonia is IMO not needed as once cycled ,
It would be rare to have a huge spike unless something large happens .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back