Monti cap with green underside possible STN?

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again just bought a Monte cap my very 1st coral, noticed a ton of pests so I dipped it in revive

A while bunch of hitch hikers fell off

My main question is

My monti cap is purple but it has weird green algea looking spots underneath and on the sides abit

I'm just wondering if it's normal I'm new so I don't know what's what really
16224093393818665238777176911909.jpg
16224093637628492500304489926956.jpg
16224093816885870914032942848807.jpg

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green is just dead skeleton that has algae growing on it. And those critters are mini brittle stars there good clean up crew for your reef.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but there were more than the stars in the dip solution lol allot of nudibranchs

But thanks for the response,

Do nudis eat only zoa or are there monti eating ones aswell?

I took a tooth brush and gave the whole bottom side a good scrub to hopfully get any latched on eggs good idea?

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are montipora nudibranch. They can quickly kill montipora colonies.

If that is your only montipora frag you can try removing the nudibranch and eggs and then cross your fingers. You’ll want to observe and inspect the frag often.

Hopefully you didn’t spend much on the frag. I’d toss it out. Those are less than $5 or free near me and for me that wouldn’t be worth the risk.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are montipora nudibranch. They can quickly kill montipora colonies.

If that is your only montipora frag you can try removing the nudibranch and eggs and then cross your fingers. You’ll want to observe and inspect the frag often.

Hopefully you didn’t spend much on the frag. I’d toss it out. Those are less than $5 or free near me and for me that wouldn’t be worth the risk.

I toothbrushed and scraped everything I could off the bottom of it and dipped it twice,

And the going rate around where I am is 10-20$ canadian and I spent 20$
Not exactly allot of reefers/reef stores around me I'm kinda stuck with one, but it seemed to have allot of pests on it so maybe I should stick to ordering online

This is my first coral so I have absolutely nothing else but fish in the system at the moment,

I'll keep a close eye on it to see if anything is crawling around

Thanks

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently we'll be allowed to leave our houses in a couple of weeks then you can go to some other stores and shop in person. I'm really looking forward to that .

Get it at Big Als?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt know personally I haven't bought anything from them except a couple of turtles 15 years ago. I stopped by there a couple of months ago and it kinda made me sad. I'm not surprised there were hitchhikers, let's put it that way.

Anyway, good luck with your first coral!! only another 50 more to go! LOL

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt know personally I haven't bought anything from them except a couple of turtles 15 years ago. I stopped by there a couple of months ago and it kinda made me sad. I'm not surprised there were hitchhikers, let's put it that way.

Anyway, good luck with your first coral!! only another 50 more to go! LOL
Thank you I appreciate it, I'm trying to take it slowly, I'm still battle with minor GHA waiting for the tank to reach peak stability,

I gotta figure out how to get the GHA off the bare bottom lol

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently we'll be allowed to leave our houses in a couple of weeks then you can go to some other stores and shop in person. I'm really looking forward to that .

Get it at Big Als?
Why can't to you leave your house?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but there were more than the stars in the dip solution lol allot of nudibranchs

But thanks for the response,

Do nudis eat only zoa or are there monti eating ones aswell?

I took a tooth brush and gave the whole bottom side a good scrub to hopfully get any latched on eggs good idea?
They are probably monti eating nudi if it came on a montipora.

If you have a qt tank, keep it in there for observation. Dip and scrub multiple times.

If you are 100% sure that they are bad nudis, you may want to take the hit and not put it in the display. If pests get to the display then you're on the path of "how to keep pests at bay enough so you don't notice them"

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't to you leave your house?

Ontario Canada still on quarantine, only thing you can go in to is a grocery store
Because our provincial government says we can't. It's a long sordid tale of political manoeuvres and profiteering. Definitely not a topic for R2R.
Agreed 100$

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That white thing looks like a possible berghias nudibranch, they eat aptasia, but hard to tell. I’m no expert on pests.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend not buying any more montipora until you’re sure you didn’t introduce montipora eating nudibranchs into your system.

Good luck!

Back