monti eating nudis?

jordanphulet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is what these are, I noticed some damage to the frag and upon closer inspection found this guy. Will a fresh water dip take care of it? This is the only monti in my tank so far.

nudis.JPG

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just take it out, scrub all the visible ones off, scrub the rest of the rock or plug it's on real good then give it a good dip in revive. Do this three or four times over the course of a month and you should be good to go. A pain? Yes but with only one monti it wont be a big deal.

You can easily beat this.

Do not dip the coral in fresh water.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R!!

I don't think that a freshwater dip will take care of them, but an iodine based dip like Revive should kill them. Make sure you inspect the entire frag with a magnifying glass to search for eggs. Monti eating nudibranchs rely solely on montipora as a food source and should perish rather quickly if they don't have anything to eat, so you may want to consider placing the frag in a quarantine tank. This would give your the opportunity to keep a closer eye on it and also to get the nudis out of your DT. Another option for killing them is using Potassium Permanganate, but it's a very harsh chemical that is usually reserved for tanks filled with montipora. It often stresses the coral badly enough that something frag size might RTN... so just in case your research points you in that direction, I'd avoid that route.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back